IBM 75GXP + RAID 0 = SOL - PLEASE HELP!

G

hey folks.. I have an ABit KT7 raid motherboard with 1g Athlon and a pair of 45gb IBM 75GXPs in a striped RAID 0 setup.

Recently got a bad sector (or at least I think it is) where if you access a given sector, it'll make a whirring noise and just sit there. The computer doesn't lock up, but the drives just sit there.

Silly me, I try to run windows 98 console (dos) scandisk, and it finds the sector, asks me if I want to fix - after I hit yes, it just sits there. After a few hours, I reboot the machine only to find ONE FREAKING FILE - scandisk.log.

Used 2 different data recovery apps, none work - they all scan the drive, hit that "bad" sector and hang. Tried norton disk doctor - it hit that sector (always 93% of the way through) and then the HD light went off, and it starts going through it at a pace of about 100 sectors per minute (out of 180 million). Does this even SOUND like a bad sector? OR is there some kind of physical damage to the drive(s) ?

Am I screwed? Does anyone know of a way I can get my data off? Can I UNraid the drives and run ndd separtely on them?

If anyone has a solution, I'd be very grateful. I'm a starving college student and can't afford one of those data recovery services.

Thanks!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
RMA THE DRIVE!!!!
the 75gxp is VERY HIGHLY defective, and there is even a lawsuit floating around out there...
they will probably send you a 60GXP, which is apparently a step up.
contact them about an RMA tho, because i would not risk using that drive...seeing as how catastrophic the drive failure is.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ALSO, i would ask IBM if they can help you out, seeing as how THEIR drive failed...
i dont know much about raid, but if you are using one drive by itself, i dont think that data on one of the drives from a dual drive setup will be recogizeable.........
not sure tho.
damn, i think i am getting a hernia from coughing.....DAMN COLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

svol

Champion
Yes, you can't use a disk which is set to RAID 0 on its own, it only contains half of the data and will therefore not work.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I wouldn't get your hopes up, but I'd still go the IBM support site and see if you think any of their utilities might help. I really think you should talk directly to a support person there because it sounds to me like you may be screwed.

I pretty sure that their DFT utility won't work on a RAID controller so you'd have to move each drive to the IDE controller and work on it there.

HOWEVER, once you do that, I'd be afraid that the DFT utility wouldn't know how the drive was partitioned and where the data is on the drive so it could very easily wipe out the drive even though it would try not to. With a single IDE partitioned drive, lots of the DFT tests don't write to the "user data" area of the drive.

Good Luck

BW