News IBM and AIST collaborate on 10,000-qubit quantum computer — 75x more qubits than rivals

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This is where I am worried AI is just gonna wake up one day. I really feel like quantum computing is the pandoras box we are just not worried enough about.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Are Quantum Computers still limited to doing very specific things or can this be used for general purposes for any task at all?

(I'm not leading into a Crysis joke here.)

Assuming an attempted serious work at porting, could this run either Windows, Linux, or other general purpose software? Web browsers? Office applications?

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
IMO, at this point in time, it is still too early to allocate significant resources to quantum computing, without first mastering spintronics related technologies.

It is bit like if for space exploration, we would have gone straight for Mars before even launching a satellite in doace or going to the Moon !!!

I am confident that technologies and knowledge that would be develop to master spintronic computing, could then be leverage as a step on the path to then reach quantum computing.

Therefore the priority should be first to allocate vast amount of resources to develop spintronics related technologies (MRAM, Intel MESO concept, French lab Spintec FESO concept, p-bit computing,…).

Then a few years down the line, it would make sense to consider quantum computing…

gburke

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Having absolute control on atomic spins to get no errors in computing sounds near impossible. I'm impressed by the theory behind this technology. But practicality could be years, if ever at all.

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Are Quantum Computers still limited to doing very specific things or can this be used for general purposes for any task at all?

Assuming an attempted serious work at porting, could this run either Windows, Linux, or other general purpose software? Web browsers? Office applications?
Quantum computers are not expected to outperform classical computers in general computing but may show advantages in solving specific classes of problems: https://thequantuminsider.com/2023/05/24/quantum-computing-applications/

Since the quantum computer will act as a coprocessor for specific problems similar to a using a GPU for computations, a user interface such as windows or linux will not run on the quantum computer itself.

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024

They are limited in the sense that they require extreme resources to keep the internal workings isolated from the environment, that costs alot of energy and takes up space, there is no getting around that as its fundamental physics. Id say based on the known science and economics they wont take off until another century and will be only used by big corps and gov. QC are sadly the result of dishonest, greedy and bias people taking advantage of the uneducated masses. Scientists and researchers constitute some of the most dodgy people in our society and you listen to actual science (proper text book consensus) not groups who make big claims. Where there is money involved scientists often misslead and conceal information.
They tell us nuclear fusion will break even when fundamental physics shows its pretty much impossible. Just because its on a website or in the form of news doesn't make it true, that is getting pretty close to the argument from authority. All the hype from corporations doesn't mean something is true, truth as problematic as it is, is arrived at by facts, science etc and not assertions.

The way these things work, you make money on hype.
This reminds me of the claims of mining the asteroid field, some start up company made a big deal about doing it and then was sold out. Because you dont make money actually going to the asteroid field, you make money pretending you are all the while actually knowing you stand no real chance of doing it. Oh sure, humans may mine the asteroid field, in the next few centuries, but not anytime soon.

Reactions: ezst036