IBM Challenges 3D XPoint With TLC Phase-Change Memory (PCM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wizzard

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
The line "...between crystalline and amorphous states in a chalcogenide (glass-like) alloy" should really read "between crystalline and amorphous (glass-like) states in a chalcogenide alloy" so as not to jumble definitions. Chalcogenides are sulfur, phosphorus et al (incl oxygen but usually not described as such); it does not describe the state of the matter, only it's composition.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I really appreciate the table, but I wonder about the Energy Per Bit row. Does that represent the amount of energy needed to write a bit? Since few of these technologies are bit-addressable, did you compute the energy needed to write a block and then divide by the bits per block? And why is the range so big, for Flash? 10^1 to 10^14 ...it's very rare to see a range that big, anywhere.

And why would the units be (pj)^2? That's (pico-Joules)^2, correct?

Also, the areal density of HDDs could have been included, in the last cell. Even though it's not a chip, it would convey a sense of the relative densities.

I hadn't been following the development of memristor-based storage products, but now I will!

Anyway, nice article.

Status
Not open for further replies.