IBM Deskstar 60GXP slow?

G

I just had a custom system put together for me, and after installing win2k I noticed something... my drives are SLOW! I can copy off of my 16x DVD at 500k/sec and duplicate on my IBM 60GXP (it is 7200 rpm) at only 1mb/sec!

Any one know how to fix this, or at least something that may speed it up?

Also, a friend told me that there is some UDMA speed up drivers (or something like that) which speed up UDMA, but we cant find it. Any one know where it is?

I no longer wish to belong to the kind of club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho Marx

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
1. iI your bios make sure your drives are recognised as UDMA 3,4,5 (ata33,66,100) respectively.

2. go to the device drivers window and make sure DMA is enabled (and fast writes)

3. if still not going fast, maybe you should find some bus master drivers relivant to the manufacturer (gimme details)

let this Hamster know if you have any luck.

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

G

Well, I dont see those UDMA settings in my BIOS (I am pretty new) but everything is set right according to my manual. Ive got DMA set in Win2k... and actually Im starting not to think that its slow...

I was coping a 10 mb file when I did that, then later I copied a 600+ megabyte file and it did it in 2 minutes (5-6 MB/sec). Dont know if thats slow or not though...

Any how Im running a Abit KT7A-RAID Motherboard, and my HD is connected to primary IDE master. I should check for drivers, your right... thanks.

I no longer wish to belong to the kind of club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho Marx