Rallaman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I have an IBM Desktar 75GXP 45GB ATA/100 HDD on an ASUS A7V133 motherboard. The board does not seem to want to recognize it. It is the only drive on the primary IDE cable, and I have it set as factory default 16 head master 0.
I am a little confused as to which IDE slot to use on the motherboard. The ATA/100 located next to the Promise controller, or the IDE's next to the Floppy connector?
Also, do I need to change any jumpers on the board, or any settings in the BIOS?
And finally, I have heard windows has a problem with drives over 33GB. Is this a problem? I will be using Windows Me.

Thanks for the help!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In order for the drive to run at ATA100, it must be connected to the blue connector next to the Promise controller. If not, then it will only run at ATA66 specs. After this is done, you must make sure to go into the BIOS and set your computer to boot off of onboard SCSI or ATA100 (depending on which BIOS version you have).

Why do I even try?

Rallaman

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
So I tried this, with my CDROM (ATA/33) connected to the black socket next to the FDD socket and the HDD connected to the blue socket next to the promise chip. I put in the windows 98se CD and chose large disk support. Then the computer restarted but didn't locate anything on the IDE ports initially, but then flashed of list of D1 through D5, where the HDD and CD were both recognized, and then flashed to a black screen that says "Press Any Key to Reboot". This will loop as many times as I hit a key. When I go into BIOS, which is set on Auto IDE recognition, it doesn't see either the HDD or CD. I tried putting in user defined specs for the HDD, but that didn't change any behavior.

Any ideas?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I returned my A7V and got KT7 (none RAID) just because of the same reason - IBM Desktar 75GXP 30GB ATA/100 HDD was not recognized by the mobo no matter which port I put it in. KT7 has no problems with that, even it runs at ATA66, it still runs at 66. I ran SiSoft benchmark on it and it reported 6 ms access time, not too bad for ATA66... hehe

K7 + KT7 + MX300 + VD3000 = :smile:

TRENDING THREADS