IBM Desktar not giving performace

G

Hey, my 60BG IBM desktar is performing like crap according to sisoft sandra benchmark. It was way below even a 5400 rpm hdd's. Do you have to enable something in bios, or do something special to get better performance outta it, or is sisoft sandra crazy?

G

Sandra is good.
Have you anything else on the same IDE cable?
Are you overclocked?
Do you know if its running at 100/66or 33?
Is it a 80 wire cable?

Bit more info would help

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

G

In sandra I assume!
30gb Western Digital...yeah yeah Iknow...
Index 24946, Bufferd read 55mb/s , 8m/s

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

G

Is DMA turned on? My results improved by 10x with DMA on.

-----------------00------------------

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Those are pretty good figures.

On my Maxtor 60G ATA100 5400rpm
Index 19887, Buffered read 57 MB/s, Sequential read 28 MB/s, Random read 6 MB/s

On my Western Digital 8.3GB ATA66 5400rpm
Index 9156, Buffered read 51 MB/s, Sequential read 13 MB/s, Random read 2476 kB/s

What are your figures tranzept2? The Index for an ATA100 7200rpm 30G is 24000.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

I dont have anything else on this cable, i'm not overclocked, and I assume its running at ata 100. How can i find out if it is?
Also, the mobo manual says the cable is a 40-pin 80-conductor ribon for udma/100.

Here is what was in my bios, smart: disabled, PIO Mode: 4, UDMA Mode: 5
When i look at the drives information in sandra, it shows: dma transfer enabled: no
why does it say that when bios says its at 5?

I'm not sure of my exact figures because sandra keeps freezing on me, but it was around 6000.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
UDMA mode 5 is ATA100

Maybe SiSoft Sandra isn't freezing, it take about 10 minutes to benchmark a drive.

Is your computer set up as a Network server? It will increase the buffer size for reading the HDD and increase speed. Settings/control panel/system/Performance/File System

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I have the same HD 60GB ATA100 7200rpm IBM Deskstar brand new and I'm getting around 36000 on Sisoft Sandra Benchmark. I found out that the A7M266 motherboard only comes with one ATA100 cable and when I had my hard drive hooked up in parallel to my Maxtor on separate IDE channels, I was getting around 16000. Now I have them hooked on the same ATA100 cable and it is around 36000. I just ordered a Promise ATA100 TX2 controller card and plan to hook them both up to this. I've heard of great performance enhancements with this configuration. Any thoughts?
You definitely have a problem with that config. I'd start out by checking the cable.
Allen

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I just repeated the Sisoft Benchmark with my IBM ATA100 7200rpm 60GB and got 26,259 index, Read 80 MB/sec, Write 65 MB/sec, access 7ms. That was a mistake above on the 36,000 index. That would be Raid0 performance. I think alot of the poor performance we are seeing with new hard drives is a result of poor cables or wrong cables. Alot of these new motherboards are being shipped with 1 -ATA100/66 cable and 1-ATA/33 cable. I know when I had my IBM hooked up to the secondary IDE channel with the ATA/33 cable I only got about 16,000 index. If anyone is running a RAID0 with the Promise FastTrack ATA100 TX2 I'd like to hear how it is perfoming on the Benchmarks. I have an Asus A7M266 motheboard, 512MB PC2100 DDR ram Micron, 1.33ghz AMD processor. Two hard drives hooked in serial (same cable), IBM ATA/100 7200rpm slave, Maxtor ATA/66 7200rpm master.
Allen

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
What is your MB?
What CPU and speed?
What windows operating system?
What programs are running in the background?

G

Tranzept2 I can guarantee your problem is directly caused by DMA not being turned on. Have you tried turning it on yet? Go to Control Panel/System, find your hard drive, it's the second tab, a checkbox there for DMA. Without DMA, you are forcing all that data through your CPU instead of allowing your RAM to do its job, and it slows your HD way down.

-----------------00------------------

G

Ok I've enabled DMA. Now my drive index is 16429, so it went up about 11000. Better, but its still well below the ata 100 7200 rpm 30GB..
mobo: a7m266
background progs: directcd, blackice, icq, ics, asus probe.

Is there anything else that I could be missing that would enhance performance?

Also, its gives me warning: low write index. check write verify is off.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tranzept2 on 07/21/01 03:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Check out www.storagereview.com for insights into your HDDs guys. The link www.storagereview.net/comparison.html is particularly useful. From what I see apparently the 75GXP is only ATA66??? I had thought that the 75GXP series were all ATA100. Can anyone clear this up? Because the IBM site lists the 75GXP as ATA100...I'm going to assume that IBM is correct ;)

G

Good catch. I never noticed that typo. I'll post about it on the storagereview.com's message board.

Leo

G

Well, got a response from the storagereview.com guys. It turns out that 75GXP was originally released as ATA-66 but later was upgraded to ATA-100. It is their policy, however, to list the drives with exactly the same spec as they were tested.

I wouldn't worry, though, that the ATA-66 version might be any slower than ATA-100. The "upgrade" is nothing more than a marketing hoopla. The drive physically cannot cross the 66MB/s threshold, anyway, so the point is moot.

Leo

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I just installed a Promise Ultra100 TX2 ATA100 controller card into my A7M266 for two hard drives I listed above. My performance went up about 20-30% which makes me wonder about that VIA southbridge IDE controller. I've heard of two other people with the same issue on the A7M266 motherboard. For 36.00 it was a great investment so far. I hope you get that issue resolved, because that drive should be getting around 20,000-30,000 index on Sisoft Sandra. I really have a hunch that you are not using a ATA100 cable.
Let us know how it goes.
Allen

G

You were probably responding to someone else's message in this thread?

Leo

G

No problem. :) It's just that the intended recepient of your message didn't get an email notification.

Leo

G

Well, I always mark my messages for email notification. That way I won't miss anything important I might be expected to reply to.

Leo