IBM Files Most Patents in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
so... all this companies patented like 25,000 things...

mhm. Let me think... 25,000

(shakes head) Koli said it

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The main thing I think the patent industry needs is to drastically cut the length of time patents can be held for. Especially in the bio-med industry and pretty much the rest of the tech sector in general.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Obvious stuff, things found in nature, and equations (which includes programs) are supposed to be un-patentable.

I think they just need to follow the rules.

Cases in point:
*There is a patent on waking up a printer when a print job MIGHT be sent to the printer (I found this one because I was trying to figure out how to start the printer warming up when I start the word processor.. the patent has ZERO info on HOW to wake the printer up..they just patented the IDEA of waking the printer up)

*There is a patent on playing a game while waiting for the main game to load...because it took such a huge leap in intuition for game makers to think of people playing games to pass the time.

*One click shopping...sure, since the 1800's or before someone could go into a store they had an account at and point at something and say "Delivery me one of those"... But now it can be done with a mouse....really...pointing...with a mouse instead of a finger. It had to be a genius to think of that AFTER the mouse was already invented and being used for a pointer.

Maybe smarter people in the patent office is the real solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.