Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
"You can't go in there, the fire set off the Halon system!"
images

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
There's nothing wrong with being safe, fire is no joke.
However, this may be a bit overkill.
One of the things that the Navy taught me about class charlie(electrical) fires, is that the fire is "out" when the power is secured.
Now, with that being said, as was noted in this article, the powersupply in a computer will detect a short condition and secure power on its own.
Installing a potentially expensive fire suppression system in a computer that already has safeguards against electrical fires sounds like a gimmick to me.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]lol, like a fire extinguisher is going to help with an electrical fire[/citation]
sarcasm or...stupidity?..Orrr am I really that stupid?

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
You know, the secure deid of old age. Precaution is never enough specially in an cluster comprised of thousands blade servers worth millions.

jlight27

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
@back_by_demand...I gave you a plus thumbs up...is that from Terminator 2??? It looks like it and that is funny to me...IBM is Skynet!!!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Err, yeah? CO2 and Halon?[/citation]
because the bios doesn't see every part of the board with a temp reading i believe.

my old p4 computer could boot after a short, it would go till the processor hit about 100c than shut down again. im assumeing that some shorts wont cause an os fail, but still heat up to the point a fire can start, at least in server applications, in home... the psu is the place a fire will likely start.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]There's nothing wrong with being safe, fire is no joke.However, this may be a bit overkill.One of the things that the Navy taught me about class charlie(electrical) fires, is that the fire is "out" when the power is secured.Now, with that being said, as was noted in this article, the powersupply in a computer will detect a short condition and secure power on its own.Installing a potentially expensive fire suppression system in a computer that already has safeguards against electrical fires sounds like a gimmick to me.[/citation]

the psu isnt seeing everything at once, and a short doesn't mean that it is also over drawing enough power to trip the censor. otherwise, it would have to many false trips to be useful as a function, psus stop when they either fail themselves (you hope, had that happen to me in a big snap and puff of black smoke) or when a part of the computer royally screws up.

[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]The patent system is broken and if you dig deep I bet you will find it is corrupted.[/citation]

That is correct, one can patent any thing and every thing except for a full birth human being.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]because the bios doesn't see every part of the board with a temp reading i believe. my old p4 computer could boot after a short, it would go till the processor hit about 100c than shut down again. im assumeing that some shorts wont cause an os fail, but still heat up to the point a fire can start, at least in server applications, in home... the psu is the place a fire will likely start.
the psu isnt seeing everything at once, and a short doesn't mean that it is also over drawing enough power to trip the censor. otherwise, it would have to many false trips to be useful as a function, psus stop when they either fail themselves (you hope, had that happen to me in a big snap and puff of black smoke) or when a part of the computer royally screws up.[/citation]
According to the story, it has an infrared flame sensor and a cartridge of fire supressant gas, there is no indication that is linked to the BIOS in anyway, a self-contained item.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
future computer accessories will include a gas mask and you get an option to choose the standard white smoke or green, yellow, blue or red smoke to match your LED lights

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Halon isn't good for you nor is it good for the ozone.[/citation]
Fire isn't good for you, nor is it good for the ozone.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Most Server rooms now use a water suppression system. Yes I know water does not mesh well with an electrical fire but it will put the fire out.

Halon is out as suppression methods do to the environmental hazards it poses to personnel and equipment.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
One more thing that I forgot to mention about Halon.

The way the Navy taught me, Halon is for Class Bravo fires. Or fires that are oil based. We were never allowed to light off the halon system for any other kind of fire, or if a Class Bravo fire was controllable. So in other words, Halon was a "last ditch effort" to fight a fire, and was typically lit off by the last man alive in the main space...

Status
Not open for further replies.