IBM Lays Off 2,400 People As Jobs Go Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Same old story, different company.[/citation]
It's not EVEN different company... IBM has been laying off US workers in favor of datacenters in India, Russia, and Argentina for several years now.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
its companies like this and others who are helping destroy our North American economy, were in a major recession/depression right now and people are losing the jobs to foreigners who will work for little next to nothing. I wish that the people overseas would realize that there getting screwed too, all they are doing is setting the president that people will work for little or nothing, they should be getting paid a lot more money. If there were actually REAL tariffs on internationally traded companies they would be much more inclined to stay in North America rather then go overseas to exploit poor people, which in turn, makes us just as poor.

Just wait when tariffs really hammer these traitorous conglomerates. They drive down wages at home while they enslave people over seas for pennies on the dollar, a wonderful world right only for some deranged globalist.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
our model of macroeconomics needs some (re)adjustments... This nonsense about cheap labour going to other nations simply doesn't make any sense anymore, it's getting out of control. At what point does it go so far out of balance where it doesn't even make any sense at all. I mean, if you take away 2,400 jobs, that's 2,400 less people buying things to make your economy viable and competitive. I know that's a simplified example, but I just don't get it. I was laid off a while back and as a result I spend a lot less than I did before, so how much money is really being saved if now people are also buying less products? Sheesh...

gayan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
welcome to capitalism....
Its strange isn't it..we "hate" government regulation on the corporate sector but end up scratching our heads when the companies run after profits and lay off employees here in the US....

gayan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]our model of macroeconomics needs some (re)adjustments... This nonsense about cheap labour going to other nations simply doesn't make any sense anymore, it's getting out of control. At what point does it go so far out of balance where it doesn't even make any sense at all. I mean, if you take away 2,400 jobs, that's 2,400 less people buying things to make your economy viable and competitive. I know that's a simplified example, but I just don't get it. I was laid off a while back and as a result I spend a lot less than I did before, so how much money is really being saved if now people are also buying less products? Sheesh...[/citation]

well this is how it works.... 2400 loose jobs(2400X5=12,000 loose income), unemployment grows...supply of labor far exceeds demand, price (=wages) or labor goes down, it goes so down that it goes below india's and then companies cut jobs in India (create major economic havoc there) and start hiring in the US.... and the cycle continues....
In the end, companies, CEOs, Share holders go from rich to super rich and employees in US and India(and the world) suffer and pick up the pieces.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]crabvomit[/nom]I hope IBM fails entirely.[/citation]

So you want 397,000 people to be out of their jobs because they outsourced less than 1% of their workforce? Maybe they had to do it to stay competitive, just a thought.

yamagiru

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This has been a growing trend for the last decade. IBM is not the only company now moving many jobs over seas for cheaper labor. EDS did it for several years, HP and DELL have been doing it for years, Allstate Insurance started doing it last year.

This isn't something that is going to end any time soon...........

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The trick is to lower the minimum wage here and raise tariffs on overseas jobs to keep those jobs here. People would rather have a lower paying job than no job, except for those who get welfare and wont get a job for fear of losing their free money.

G

“A Native American grandfather talking to his young grandson tells the boy he has two wolves inside of him struggling with each other. The first is the wolf of peace, love and kindness. The other wolf is fear, greed and hatred. "Which wolf will win, grandfather?" asks the young boy. "Whichever one I feed," is the reply.”

- Native American Proverb

I wonder which one corporations have been feeding?

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Here's to the IBM CEO and Executive Mangement rotting in hell. Cheers!

Any company that thinks off-shoring their work is going to improve their position is lead by complete idiots. I have seen the work results of these moves and its a joke.

"We can save X amount of dollars by off-shoring". You can lose X amount of business by building, developing and supporting crap products too. Any company that off-shores should seriously have their management reviewed for incompetence.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
The comments here are ridiculous. There are tons of educated people outside of the U.S. that are willing to work for a fraction of the cost Americans are willing to work. And you say the companies are being greedy?

For the record, I am American.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"The trick is to lower the minimum wage here and raise tariffs on overseas jobs to keep those jobs here. People would rather have a lower paying job than no job, except for those who get welfare and wont get a job for fear of losing their free money."

I'm gonna have to disagree with the lowering the minimum wage here, tarriffs alone would curb companies from moving outside the country, lowering our wages would only further the demise of our economy here, like someone mentioned earlier, people who make less money spend less money. if can't feed the economy by purchasing goods and services the economy will dwindle and die. Not to mention that its circular, if we allow these companies to do business like this we will all become slaves working for pennies. A company who has operations in North America should be bound by the same regulations that they have here. Its like how Shell has to abide by strict environmental laws in North America, but they can pollute all they want in South America, poisoning drinking water and causing serious hardships for the people who live there. its a double standard.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"The comments here are ridiculous. There are tons of educated people outside of the U.S. that are willing to work for a fraction of the cost Americans are willing to work. And you say the companies are being greedy?

For the record, I am American."

You might think differently when you lose your job.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
People have unrealistic expectations of how much they are worth in the US. It's the same reason so many people remained unemployed for so long instead of getting crap retail jobs at Sears.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]thejester420[/nom]"The trick is to lower the minimum wage here and raise tariffs on overseas jobs to keep those jobs here. People would rather have a lower paying job than no job, except for those who get welfare and wont get a job for fear of losing their free money."I'm gonna have to disagree with the lowering the minimum wage here, tarriffs alone would curb companies from moving outside the country, lowering our wages would only further the demise of our economy here, like someone mentioned earlier, people who make less money spend less money. if can't feed the economy by purchasing goods and services the economy will dwindle and die. Not to mention that its circular, if we allow these companies to do business like this we will all become slaves working for pennies. A company who has operations in North America should be bound by the same regulations that they have here. Its like how Shell has to abide by strict environmental laws in North America, but they can pollute all they want in South America, poisoning drinking water and causing serious hardships for the people who live there. its a double standard.[/citation]

You are missing something very important: inflation. If we are overpaid (earn more than we produce) then what the market dictates; the value of the US dollar will decline.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Come on folks, how can there be rich unless there are large number of poor, how can there be uber rich unless there are vast numbers of poor. We should hold a telethon for these corporate CEO's, CFO's, COO's etc. They have it hard trying to make themselves uber rich and their shareholders rich and trying to guise is as keeping their corporations afloat. Slavery was only outsourced folks it wasn't eradicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.