IBM Patents Optical Disc With Embedded Flash Memory

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]why not instead put a small SSD in the blu-ray player? Or do they have that already? I don't see the point of actually putting it on the disc. Especially for the renter side of things. Instead have every player have a unique ID on the "cloud" (formerly known as the internet...). Seems much cheaper and easier to manage user data. The only place I see this useful is with software installation disc's (OS's specifically) that can control DRM.[/citation]

because the data can move with the disk. No need for labels either push come to shove.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]Why not instead of using flash memory simply make a small area of the disc R/W?[/citation]
That would defeat the purpose of being able to remove the flash if the disk becomes damaged or unuseable.

f-14

Distinguished
6:00 PM - August 3, 2012 by Wolfgang Gruener

Could this disk succeed today? Unlikely. We are used to having our game data in the "cloud" and prefer accessing the data whenever and wherever we want, even if that is not always as convenient as it sounds.

Wolfgang Gruener is a contributor to Tom's IT Pro. He is currently principal analyst at Ndicio Research, a market analysis firm that focuses on cloud computing and disruptive technologies,

Gruener, no matter how much you try to market and advertise and push cloud you have no solution for hackers, and hardware failure and not just one but EVERY world government snooping in your stuff on the cloud which will do it weather or not they have the right to do so and not for friendly reasons either.

i'm sick and tired of paid for advertising, this is what happened when tom sold out, toms has gone so far down the hole they can probably tell you what's on the other side of the black hole they're stuck in.
it's a pity the few biased (gruener, perry, parrish) drag down the group as A wHOLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.