IBM Refurbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do IBM notebook refurbs generally have a good reputation?

I was looking at IBM's refurb listings and noticed a T21 for approx. $650. I
have no idea where it may have been in the past 3 yrs or so to come back
into the IBM fold.

In any event, I have been exploring buying a notebook preferably IBM, but
the new T series are a bit more than I need to spend on a notebook at this
point. It seems that the T21 would be adequate for web browsing, email,
along with some Word, Excel, and Access - I have an old version of Office 97
Pro lying around somewhere that I used on an old pc. Main problem is that
the cd rom is not a "w" version so I would have to work around that- maybe
usb drive or the iomega zip that I do not use anymore.

Suppose that I could buy a wireless card for it - we have a wireless router
for our dsl connection.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

IBM official refurbs only carry a 90 day warranty, and in this case it
is very over priced.
I could sell you an in warranty T23 for only a few $$ more - in fact,
since IBM charges sales tax everyplace, the price would be about the
same.
I'll be happy to sell you a T21 in mint condition for $525.00

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:52:13 GMT, "Henry Smith"
<hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Do IBM notebook refurbs generally have a good reputation?
>
>I was looking at IBM's refurb listings and noticed a T21 for approx. $650. I
>have no idea where it may have been in the past 3 yrs or so to come back
>into the IBM fold.
>
>In any event, I have been exploring buying a notebook preferably IBM, but
>the new T series are a bit more than I need to spend on a notebook at this
>point. It seems that the T21 would be adequate for web browsing, email,
>along with some Word, Excel, and Access - I have an old version of Office 97
>Pro lying around somewhere that I used on an old pc. Main problem is that
>the cd rom is not a "w" version so I would have to work around that- maybe
>usb drive or the iomega zip that I do not use anymore.
>
>Suppose that I could buy a wireless card for it - we have a wireless router
>for our dsl connection.
>
>I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
>
>Thanks

Bruce,

T23 - Who is the warranty with?
T21 - Where do "mint condition" T21s come from? Any warranty and who with?

Thanks for your response.

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> IBM official refurbs only carry a 90 day warranty, and in this case it
> is very over priced.
> I could sell you an in warranty T23 for only a few $$ more - in fact,
> since IBM charges sales tax everyplace, the price would be about the
> same.
> I'll be happy to sell you a T21 in mint condition for $525.00
>
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:52:13 GMT, "Henry Smith"
> <hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Do IBM notebook refurbs generally have a good reputation?
> >
> >I was looking at IBM's refurb listings and noticed a T21 for approx.
$650. I
> >have no idea where it may have been in the past 3 yrs or so to come back
> >into the IBM fold.
> >
> >In any event, I have been exploring buying a notebook preferably IBM, but
> >the new T series are a bit more than I need to spend on a notebook at
this
> >point. It seems that the T21 would be adequate for web browsing, email,
> >along with some Word, Excel, and Access - I have an old version of Office
97
> >Pro lying around somewhere that I used on an old pc. Main problem is that
> >the cd rom is not a "w" version so I would have to work around that-
maybe
> >usb drive or the iomega zip that I do not use anymore.
> >
> >Suppose that I could buy a wireless card for it - we have a wireless
router
> >for our dsl connection.
> >
> >I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
> >
> >Thanks

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:31:35 GMT, "Henry Smith"
<hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>T23 - Who is the warranty with?
>T21 - Where do "mint condition" T21s come from? Any warranty and who with?

I bought a mint x30 from Bruce this week. Despite being 2
"generations" old, it new and still warranted by IBM. I suspect the
temporal police will catch on to him soon, but until then...
Btw, it's pretty spry with the 60GB 7200 rpm drive I added.
Emanuel

Henry:
ANY warranty I quote is from IBM

The T21 is out of warranty. If I told you where I buy from, that would
make it hard to make a buck, yes?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:31:35 GMT, "Henry Smith"
<hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>T23 - Who is the warranty with?
>T21 - Where do "mint condition" T21s come from? Any warranty and who with?
>
>Thanks for your response.
>
>"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> IBM official refurbs only carry a 90 day warranty, and in this case it
>> is very over priced.
>> I could sell you an in warranty T23 for only a few $$ more - in fact,
>> since IBM charges sales tax everyplace, the price would be about the
>> same.
>> I'll be happy to sell you a T21 in mint condition for $525.00
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:52:13 GMT, "Henry Smith"
>> <hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Do IBM notebook refurbs generally have a good reputation?
>> >
>> >I was looking at IBM's refurb listings and noticed a T21 for approx.
>$650. I
>> >have no idea where it may have been in the past 3 yrs or so to come back
>> >into the IBM fold.
>> >
>> >In any event, I have been exploring buying a notebook preferably IBM, but
>> >the new T series are a bit more than I need to spend on a notebook at
>this
>> >point. It seems that the T21 would be adequate for web browsing, email,
>> >along with some Word, Excel, and Access - I have an old version of Office
>97
>> >Pro lying around somewhere that I used on an old pc. Main problem is that
>> >the cd rom is not a "w" version so I would have to work around that-
>maybe
>> >usb drive or the iomega zip that I do not use anymore.
>> >
>> >Suppose that I could buy a wireless card for it - we have a wireless
>router
>> >for our dsl connection.
>> >
>> >I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
>> >
>> >Thanks

I'm glad to see that it arrived in one piece. Now who the heck are the
"temporal police" and why should I fear them?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:48:02 GMT, E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:31:35 GMT, "Henry Smith"
><hmsmith@REMOVETHIS!worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>Bruce,
>>
>>T23 - Who is the warranty with?
>>T21 - Where do "mint condition" T21s come from? Any warranty and who with?
>>
> I bought a mint x30 from Bruce this week. Despite being 2
>"generations" old, it new and still warranted by IBM. I suspect the
>temporal police will catch on to him soon, but until then...
> Btw, it's pretty spry with the 60GB 7200 rpm drive I added.
> Emanuel

Bruce,

the temporal police are the brave guys living in the future and
defending the time continuum by chasing people like you:

People carelessly travelling through time to get brand
new x30 ones: for storing them in a clean and dry place
to have them ready for sale in 2004.

You should consider stopping that behavior: Time travelling into
our past can cause serious trouble for all of us living here in
the present. If you do something wrong in the past then a chain
reaction might happen causing our present to have never been true.
OOPS ;-)

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

Bruce,

the temporal police are the brave guys living in the future and
defending the time continuum by chasing people like you:

People carelessly travelling through time to get brand
new x30 ones: for storing them in a clean and dry place
to have them ready for sale in 2004.

You should consider stopping that behavior: Time travelling into
our past can cause serious trouble for all of us living here in
the present. If you do something wrong in the past then a chain
reaction might happen causing our present to have never been true.

Actually I started feeling like I am vanishing already ...

Bruce!? What did you do? Stepped onto a Butterfly? ARGH !!

--

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:13:50 GMT, scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce
Markowitz) wrote:
>I'm glad to see that it arrived in one piece. Now who the heck are the
>"temporal police" and why should I fear them?

They monitor time travel - you're obviously going back in time for
these and selling them in our time!
Emanuel

In article <dfqff0lh7a7kg0qsgnp3j7qlltrha9h79a@4ax.com>, epbrown01
@att.net says...
> I bought a mint x30 from Bruce this week. Despite being 2
> "generations" old, it new and still warranted by IBM. I suspect the
> temporal police will catch on to him soon, but until then...
> Btw, it's pretty spry with the 60GB 7200 rpm drive I added.
> Emanuel

Does Bruce have a website? Or a catalog?

Am Samstag, 17. Juli 2004 16:49 schrieb Ben Franklin:

> In article <dfqff0lh7a7kg0qsgnp3j7qlltrha9h79a@4ax.com>, epbrown01
> @att.net says...
>> I bought a mint x30 from Bruce this week. Despite being 2
>> "generations" old, it new and still warranted by IBM. I suspect the
>> temporal police will catch on to him soon, but until then...
>> Btw, it's pretty spry with the 60GB 7200 rpm drive I added.
>> Emanuel
>>
> Does Bruce have a website? Or a catalog?

/me too is interested in the answer to this question.

If nobody objects I would like to see the web address posted here. :)

eBay buying is nice, but online ordering can also be fine, even more
if there is a guarantee ...

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:49:39 -0500, Ben Franklin
<bfranklin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does Bruce have a website? Or a catalog?

Not that I'm aware of. I mentioned I was looking for an X30 and he
e-mailed that he had one available for sale.
Emanuel

Yes, but wait till you see what I brought back from the future...
Terrabyte hard drive anyone?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:13:55 GMT, E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:13:50 GMT, scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce
>Markowitz) wrote:
>>I'm glad to see that it arrived in one piece. Now who the heck are the
>>"temporal police" and why should I fear them?
>
> They monitor time travel - you're obviously going back in time for
>these and selling them in our time!
> Emanuel

Neither
I spend my time looking for bargains, not building lists