IBM, Samsung Fight Over Patent Leadership in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I wonder how many Apple patents have IBM and Samsung violated[/citation]
I wonder how many IBM and Samsung patents have Apple violated. :more sarcasm:

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I wonder why you say "worldwide". So far it's been only US (uhm, and poor Australia, that was forced to adopt US patent system) when you can patent crazy stuff and Germany, where you have judges that can ban product since it is also rectangular and has rounded corners.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]I wonder how many IBM and Samsung patents have Apple violated. :more sarcasm:[/citation]
"multitouch" idea and "rectangular shape with rounded corners" vs antennas, 3G and stuff?

And your point is?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I wonder how many of these patients are actually designed by these companies rather than just being ideas that they'll hold onto until a true inventive, inovative company comes along to actually build the product only to be sued into oblivion by these "young" companies who rested on their laurels and are sliding into obscurity like AOL, yahoo, HP etc.

G

@__-_-_-__

"patent trolls: part II - the 2 giants"

you'll be hard pressed to find an innovative or software patent in Samsung's port folio, these patents were not acquired through acquisition but rather from their own research and development, so how you figure they were patent trolling? (not all patents are incomplete vague concepts, some actually have some substance to them)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Microsoft recently said that it spent nearly $4.5 billion for license fees over the last decade, but it has also put 1133 license agreements in place to give licenses to its patents
Some might say that Microsoft is happy to let people use its R&D work be proliferated by anyone as long as they get adequately compensated for their work, this allows the consumer (ie, you and me) to get the maximum benefit.

Other companies are not interested in licensing and would rather litigate to the death, file injunctions and try to destroy the competition ... 3 guesses who I am refering to (and the first 2 don't count).

As far as calling IBM a patent troll, do some research, the 21st century was built on things that IBM invented, like the hard drive and the bar code.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]MakeTheirOwnStuff[/nom]"you'll be hard pressed to find an innovative or software patent in Samsung's port folio, these patents were not acquired through acquisition but rather from their own research and development, so how you figure they were patent trolling? (not all patents are incomplete vague concepts, some actually have some substance to them)[/citation]

Your implication is that IBM is not worthy of it's patents. IBM not only patent's software, but they also have their hands in super computers, servers, nano-technology, data storage, AI, etc. These companies have very little in common: Samsung...consumer electronics, IBM...computer technology. Finally, you never see IBM playing these patent legal games like MS, Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. IBM is a high-class corporation that stands far above the rest.

G

@feeddagoat

Samsung and IBM are the true innovative companies, unlike Apple. Apple has a paltry patent portfolio that they themselves created, and most of the patents Apple own are purchased.

Samsung and IBM also purchase patents too, but the amount of inventions they create and develop on their own is astronomically more than almost every other company, let alone Apple who would look like a speck in the universe of self inventions.

@yoder
I don't know where you got the idea that MakeTheirOwnStuff was implying IBM is not worthy of its patents. He was only talking about Samsung without any kind of reference to IBM. In fact, I think he would agree with you that IBM is a high class corporation, since that's what he was saying about Samsung too. Samsung has been forced to play these legal games recently because Apple, the real patent troll, has gone on the aggressive. Should Samsung just roll over then? I don't think so. If someone was attacking IBM you would say it would be wrong of them to protect themselves with their own arsenal of patents.

G

In my last sentence I meant to say

If someone was attacking IBM would you say it would be wrong of them to protect themselves with their own arsenal of patents?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]steve11200[/nom]In my last sentence I meant to sayIf someone was attacking IBM would you say it would be wrong of them to protect themselves with their own arsenal of patents?[/citation]
They wouldn't need to, no one would steal an IBM patent and try to litigate their way out of it because it is so blindly obvious that IBM invented whatever it was that they would be lucky not to serve 60 days in the pen for contempt of court.
IBM invents things, then patents it, then develops it, then pushes it out into the world, then you use it every day and don't even know.
And better still, they have no problem in taking some of these things that they have spent hard cash on and simply giving them away, like this:-
http://www.itnews.com/development-platforms/38788/ibm-open-sources-messaging-client-embedded-devices
So sensors that are all over bridges and pipelines to predict faults and detect flaws, their communications protocol was open-sourced, how can something so ubiquitous and massively useful, not to mention valuable, simply be given away?

Honestly, if Google, Microsoft and Apple did with their IP what IBM has done with theirs in the last 20 years we could have been colonising new planets by now.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Some might say that Microsoft is happy to let people use its R&D work be proliferated by anyone as long as they get adequately compensated for their work, this allows the consumer (ie, you and me) to get the maximum benefit.Other companies are not interested in licensing and would rather litigate to the death, file injunctions and try to destroy the competition ... 3 guesses who I am refering to (and the first 2 don't count).As far as calling IBM a patent troll, do some research, the 21st century was built on things that IBM invented, like the hard drive and the bar code.[/citation]
The reason is probably that they are officially a monopoly, so if they didn't it would probably be an anti-trust issue.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]The reason is probably that they are officially a monopoly, so if they didn't it would probably be an anti-trust issue.[/citation]
Some companies only get to be viewed as monopolies because they are good at what they do and no one else comes close.
If there were 10 companies that sold hamburgers and 9 were made with slaughter room floor scrapings and 1 was made with prime fillet steak mince, all were the same price, that one company would have a total monopoly.
If IBM has any kind of monopoly it isn't being investigated because it hasn't held anyone back or been anti-competative, it's just that the competition simply isn't good enough.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
IBM and Samsung are IT industry patent giants. No other company files for nearly as many patents as those two companies - and no other company gets as many patents granted as those two.

And yet Samsung got sued by crApple and loose in some courtrooms.

Samsung? As one of the largest patent filing companies? Really?

I seriously doubt that claim. What has Samsung invented, technologically? Cheaper DVD drives? Either those patents are variations of each other in different wording, or they're trying to patent more of innovations from other companies.

G

"eddieroolz
Samsung? As one of the largest patent filing companies? Really?

I seriously doubt that claim. What has Samsung invented, technologically? Cheaper DVD drives?"

Aren't you a little embarrassed to reveal your ignorance of the technology world? Companies like IBM and Samsung invest heavily in their own R&D that are at the forefront of technology and science. For you to not be aware of that shows you're nothing more than a layperson or casual fan.

"Either those patents are variations of each other in different wording, or they're trying to patent more of innovations from other companies."

Funny that this is exactly what Apple does.

G

Samsung Electronics is deeply entrenched in almost every aspect of IT/Computing manufacturing, including materials research. They 'make' (design/engineer/manufacture) virtually any component you can think of. Just start anywhere in the electronics marketplace, and you will find Samsung made components (not just finished products). Maintaining an edge is that business requires constant R&D, followed closely by adept manufacturing execution. Additionally - it is only 'one' arm of a global engineering juggernaut. Construction, Shipbuilding, you name it. Samsung has its fingers in almost everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Continued good luck to both IBM & Samsung (because luck always helps)

G

@eddieroolz

how about i name just one out and you tell me how innovative it is, they invented a process which substantially increase the yield rate for the fabrication of display panels thus drastically reducing the cost of any electronics that utilize said display panels

that good enough for you??? although i have to admit it's probably nothing on grid of rounded off square icons or slide to unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.