News IBM Thinkpad 701C Receives 21st Century 'Brain Transplant'

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
I had one of these back in the day ... the butterfly keyboard was an innovation that truly was ahead of its time. The early versions were a bit prone to early failure, but the ability to have a full-size keyboard on a half-size laptop was well worth it.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I had one of these back in the day ... the butterfly keyboard was an innovation that truly was ahead of its time. The early versions were a bit prone to early failure, but the ability to have a full-size keyboard on a half-size laptop was well worth it.

I second that. I've had ThinkPads ever since the early 90s and the 701C is the one I remember the most fondly. ThinkPad keyboards used to be gold but have been getting progressively worse ever since Lenovo took over the brand. I'm typing this on an X1 Yoga which has a very nice keyboard by modern standards, but it's pure sh*t compared to the keyboard the 701C had.

Feb 23, 2023
When you take an old laptop, and rip out everything Except the old keyboard, that's high praise for the quality of old keyboards.
And a sad inditement on the quality of modern keyboards. Chiclet style keys, where the only feature is how thin they are, do not make for the best experience.