iBUYPOWER, Newegg Team Up For Live Configurator

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
So customers get to spend over $2000 on a "gaming rig" that they could have easily put together themselves for less than $1500 where they can do much more .

Nothing says uber fast like a Cheetah made out of flames on the side of a iBUYPOWER Chimera 4S case, maybe some lighting bolts for legs will make it faster /s

kijutsu

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
iwillNEVERbuypower. I bought one fo their laptop a few years back and broke down 3 times in 6 months. The last time it broke I told them to burn that garbage. I turned around and bought an HP laptop. Broke down twice in 4 or 5 years and both time a guy came to my house to get the computer and it didn't cost me a dime!

I'll never buy an ibuypower again but my next laptop will most probably be an HP.

What they should offer is a service where they charge you $100 to assemble a computer for you, install the OS, AVG Free edition and drivers. Then you pick any part you want from Newegg at normal prices. All the configurator will do is make sure you don't choose and incompatible parts and make sure you have all parts needed for a functioning PC. For the OS you pick Linux, FreeBSD or Windows (with a true OEM licensing fee such as a small manufacturer would pay).

At $100 they'd be making great margins. Since labor would run about an hour to an hour and a half at about $20 per hour. I know techs wouldn't make $20 per hour but you have to factor in all the mandatory employment taxes and insurances hidden from the worker that the employer has to pay.

More complex configurations such as RAID, custom cooling, additional software would be done for an additional fee.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I've never had a problem with Newegg, but I have never had an ibuypower pc that DIDNT experience a catastrophic motherboard or power supply failure within 2 years (and my family together has owned at least 4 before we quit using them) . Count me out of this one, clearly their qc is bad or something.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The Baseline machine for Tom's workstation tests is an Ibuypower machine. We've had it for over two years.

BUT, its built using workstation components, so YMMV.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The entry-level (read: reasonably priced) ibuypower machines use REALLY cheap components, and that's why people tend to have issues. You can configure them to use more reliable components, but then you look at your resulting price tag and you're back in line with everyone else in terms of price. Really, sometimes I want to be lazy and let someone else build me a desktop for once... but then I plug in good quality components into one of the major builders configurators and I end up being driven to just build it myself again.

With that being said, this is an interesting alliance, and Newegg does provide good customer service. Also, is that why they were having web site issues earlier today? :p

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
What they should offer is a service where they charge you $100 to assemble a computer for you, install the OS, AVG Free edition and drivers. Then you pick any part you want from Newegg at normal prices. All the configurator will do is make sure you don't choose and incompatible parts and make sure you have all parts needed for a functioning PC. For the OS you pick Linux, FreeBSD or Windows (with a true OEM licensing fee such as a small manufacturer would pay).

At $100 they'd be making great margins. Since labor would run about an hour to an hour and a half at about $20 per hour. I know techs wouldn't make $20 per hour but you have to factor in all the mandatory employment taxes and insurances hidden from the worker that the employer has to pay.

More complex configurations such as RAID, custom cooling, additional software would be done for an additional fee.

I'm assuming everyone on this site has put a computer or two together and myself I've done between 30-50 as a desktop support agent at a large corporation. But after I moved on I still continue making them for myself...if you think putting it together physically AND installing the OS and updates/AVG takes only a 'few' hours you're crazy. They wouldn't be making great margins. A company like this wants to be charging you $100/hr...not $100/3hours. That's not how you run a company. Thing about iBuyPower is it's not people like us that buy them...it's the people that aren't comfortable building them or don't know how but can afford to add $200-300 to the cost of the system to have it build and shipped. I wouldn't do it, but I get it.

PossumJones

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
What a great article warning people about these horrendous rip offs. Thanks for the heads up, Tom's. And for not always being a total shill.

Status
Not open for further replies.