IconCache .db Recovery

Justin Cornell

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I was attempting to modify some desktop icons and (foolishly) deleted my iconcache.db folder. I followed these instructions as it would have accomplished what I wanted, if I were on that version of windows the tutorial was wrote for (vista)

"Open Task Manger
Open Command Prompt - cmd.exe
In Task Manager, end process explorer.exe (which locks the Icon Cache Database file and wont let you delete it)
Back again at cmd.exe
cd %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
del IconCache.db /a
explorer.exe
Check if the icons got rid of the bloody shield."

Along with my icons being totally blank. It messed up alot of if not all other UI functions. I am wondering what the best course for recovery is.

Solution
Wow, thanks for talking me through that lol. I used the program Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.2.2 to modify desktop shortcuts so they would not to display the small arrow they have in the bottom left. I used the option to restore them and I rs'd and the icons were back, all lost functionality from windows not being able to find the icons is back as well. Thanks!

Justin Cornell

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Wow, thanks for talking me through that lol. I used the program Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.2.2 to modify desktop shortcuts so they would not to display the small arrow they have in the bottom left. I used the option to restore them and I rs'd and the icons were back, all lost functionality from windows not being able to find the icons is back as well. Thanks!

Solution