icons are duplicated

whenever i add an icon to my desktop, it comes out double. So, i have 2 word
icons, 2 my computer icons, etc. When I delete 1 of them, both disappear.
I've tried many solutions but i must be missing something. Any ideas why
this is happening or what i can do to restore single icons to my desktop?

Duplicate Icons in the Desktop - Windows 2000/XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/duplicatedesktop.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes