I use Windows XP Home. I recently had to reload most of my programs and now
all of my desktop icons are showing up as doubles. I have 2 Word icons, 2 My
Computer icons, etc. I have tried deleting one, but within a second or two,
the other one disappears. I've tried several solutions but icons continue to
come in twos. My tech person is stumped. Any one else ever had this problem?

Duplicate Icons in the Desktop - Windows 2000/XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/duplicatedesktop.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes