Icons missing and wont stay on desktop

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hey guys I have a software problem. I launched a game in full screen and when alt tabbed, all my desktop icons were gone. Here's what i've tried:

1) Clicked view on desktop and it's checked but no icons show
2) Did SFC scan, found corruption > repaired > restarted, still no icons. Ran again, no corruption > restarted > nothing
3)my explorer.exe is not found in task manager but it is running as I can use task bars and the windows icon so I went to regedit > foundexplorer.exe and no alterations on the registry > ran virus scan > nothing
4)I have a desktop folder in windows explorer and when I try to copy the folder into the actual desktop, the only options are skip or cancel because it already exists in desktop but doesn't physically show.
5)Able to set new icons on desktop but some disappear after! I place a gpu-z in my desktop and move it around and it stays, however placing a steam icon on the desktop it stays but if I place it on the left side it disappears!

Any ideas?

I did shift from 8700k to 8600k a few days ago if that's a factor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thats unusual. You can try rebuilding icon cache - https://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/

Changing the CPU shouldn't alter desktop appearance unless you' are using the igpu inside it.

5. is odd, could be PC trying to save resources so making icons disappear from under opened windows. was game in Steam? Have you tried closing its launcher and see if it is same?

tried a clean boot? It might be another program messing with the desktop as not being able to put icons on left side makes me think there is something blocking them. Read the instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable all Microsoft services, or win 10 won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if its normal, slowly re add any services you stopped and any startup programs until you find the cause.

What are specs of PC? I assume if you playing games you not using the igpu

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017

Thank you for the time to reply!

I'll try the first solution and if it doesn't work then I'll re-install my os once my m.2 arrives.

PC specs are 8600k , 1080Ti, 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM, 1TB SSD/HDD