Icons not displaying correctly

All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program has
associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
display instead of the icon self.
I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
used for unknown file types.

Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

You could try doing an Icon Repair with TweakUI.

You can get the website at www.vanusa.org Software Page near the bottom of
the list.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program
> has
> associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
> display instead of the icon self.
> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
> used for unknown file types.
>
> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

Please read the responses you have already received.

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:55:36 +0200, "Wimpie van Lingen"
<van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program has
>associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
>display instead of the icon self.
>I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
>used for unknown file types.
>
>Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

Don

With respect....
TweakUI does not repair .ico and .cur associations.
It deletes ShellIconCache which is not relevant here.

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:34:53 -0700, "Don Schmidt"
<RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:

>You could try doing an Icon Repair with TweakUI.
>
>You can get the website at www.vanusa.org Software Page near the bottom of
>the list.
>

>--
>Don
>Vancouver, USA
>

>"Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program
>> has
>> associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
>> display instead of the icon self.
>> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default icon
>> used for unknown file types.
>>
>> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

kelly

Great tidbit, Alan. Line 4 corrects that issue for those who attempt:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Don
>
> With respect....
> TweakUI does not repair .ico and .cur associations.
> It deletes ShellIconCache which is not relevant here.
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:34:53 -0700, "Don Schmidt"
> <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
>
>>You could try doing an Icon Repair with TweakUI.
>>
>>You can get the website at www.vanusa.org Software Page near the bottom of
>>the list.
>>

>>--
>>Don
>>Vancouver, USA
>>

>>"Wimpie van Lingen" <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> All my files with a .ico or .cur extention displays wrong. Some program
>>> has
>>> associated itself with those two file types, and now that program's icon
>>> display instead of the icon self.
>>> I removed the association, but now Windows just displays the default
>>> icon
>>> used for unknown file types.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I can get icons to display as icons again?

Thanks SK with 2.
Glad to see you back in action.

All my love...Alan

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:12:40 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Great tidbit, Alan. Line 4 corrects that issue for those who attempt:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html