icons not showing on task bar/ start menu won't open

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
So my computer restarted to update. Everything was fine until I logged in. The icons on my taskbar will not show up (except for spotify). When I try to open the start menu, the button clicks but nothing happens. My desktop icons are also gone (but the text names are still there, and though i can select them they do not open.) I restarted my computer to only find the same issues at hand.

Please help, thanks in advance.

edit: I have tried system restore, and it's not working.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I'm using webroot, it's not the best but it came with my computer.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I'm using webroot, it's not the best but it came with my computer.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I actually am having a very similar issue after "Patch Tuesday" on 3/12/13. I was about to post a separate thread but then I saw this one. The computer will reboot and the desktop is not something I can click on. Icons don't work, the task menu does not work, the start button does not work, CTRL & ALT & DEL does not work. The computer works perfectly in safe mode. A 'System Recovery' to a previous restore point does work, however re-downloading and applying the patches makes this problem happen all over again!

Is anybody aware of issues with the following patches that are in this bulk update?

Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2814124) 12.5MB
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB2809289) 27.0MB
Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems 69.1MB
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2807986) 122KB
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - March 2013 (KB890830) 5.2MB
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.145.1873.0) 474KB
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2768024) 3.2MB

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ESET NOD32, currently running a scan right now of my C:/ drive, doubt I'll find anything. I'm convinced one of the patches is doing it, but I'm not sure why.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I agree, i'm thinking something with one of the patches is messing with this too.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Did you download all of those too or just a few? I noticed there were some that weren't checked by default, even though they were listed in the "Important" category, such as IE 10, and the 122KB security update.

*EDIT*

I've now found three more threads with this same or at least a similar problem created just recently:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/71984-63-windows-freezes-time-turn

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1625819/computer-loads-fine-dektop-screen.html#10505408

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1624533/system-runs-safe-mode-programs-run-normal-mode.html#10505439

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I downloaded them all I think, not really sure.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm running a scan with my A/V, I'll then do one with MalWareBytes, then I'll try installing each update one at a time until I run into a problem. Maybe I'll find out what the issue is tomorrow. This is going to be a GREAT weekend, I can tell.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

best of luck to you!

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks, you too. Try to bump this thread tomorrow with a reply of some kind if you can so more people will see it. I'd like to try and get this solved rather than buy a copy of Windows 8 and re-format my whole machine.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I've been looking around and it seems like other people are experiencing this problem now. I hope there's a fix for it soon, I'm with you on the not wanting to reformat my whole machine.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Update, my computer just restarted to install another update. I was hoping this one would fix it, but it's still doing the same thing. Any luck on anyone elses end?

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I just finished a virus/malware scan on both ESET NOD32 and MalwareBytes just to be sure there was nothing wrong behind the scenes. Both scans turned up 0 problems, so I think I'm going to try and go through the tedious process of make a restore point and installing each update one at a time to see which one causes the problem. Once I isolate it, the only thing I can think of is to right click the update in question and then click 'Hide'.

It will force Windows not to install it upon reboot without my consent and not prompt me to download it ever again. The only problem is that if the specific security hole the troublesome patch fixes is ever exploited on my computer, I won't be protected against it. Hopefully someone will be able to call out the problem and tell me what it is so it won't come to that.

fenlac

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Have you had any luck yet? I haven't had any such on my end. I wonder if there will ever be a proper resolution to solve this problem.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Sorry about the lack of answers, I've had no computer for the past 3 weeks or so. After installing the updates for the third time after a third system restore, I launched a game to see what would happen. Game blacked out, came back on then crashed. Thought maybe I needed a graphics card driver update. Did that, and my system booted to a blue screen. Couldn't even get to safe mode. It mentioned something about nvblahblah.sys. And I know 'nv' is short for nVidia. I bought a copy of Windows 8 and re-formatted, but to no avail. Basically the new drivers bricked my graphics card inadition to my operating system being screwed over. So I ended up building a new computer. Win 8, Core i7 3700K, nVidia GTX670. Ran me close to $1000 but the problem's fixed. Way to go Microsoft. Patch Tuesday rules.

jameswa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

jameswa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I had this problem on a vista unit. I changed to a win 7 unit and still had problem. I tried everything. Finally I changed the keyboard. Now every thing is fine. The problem was on a logitech wireless keyboard. I went to a usb connect and everything works. I don't know if it only the Logitech MK320 that caused the problem or if this happens on other wireless keyboards.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

That's sort of odd. I can't say the issue was the keyboard for me. It is a USB Razer Black Widow Ultimate, and I'm using it now on my new PC.

jameswa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
The problem reappeared after 2 days. I kept changing plugged in components and the problem went away when I changed the mouse. I reattached the other mouse and the problem started back. I have since used the new mouse and can't repeat the problem. I am running 2 computers using a trend connection for the mouse, keyboard, audio, and moniter. It has been working fine for the last 10 days. Good luck.