Icons & Shortcuts

David

I use keyboard shortcuts to start programs that have icons on the
desktop, but is it possible to have a key combination without having
to have the icon?

Thanks for enlightenment.

David

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:41:19 -0800, David wrote:

> I use keyboard shortcuts to start programs that have icons on the
> desktop, but is it possible to have a key combination without having
> to have the icon?
>
> Thanks for enlightenment.
>
> David

You have to have the icon but it can be on the desktop *or* in the start
menu.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

David

Thank you Sharon. I seem to remember once seeing a that it is possible
to change the icons on the desktop to single pixels, or something very
small. Could I do this with an icon editor and still have the
shortcut?

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:23:39 -0800, David wrote:

> Thank you Sharon. I seem to remember once seeing a that it is possible
> to change the icons on the desktop to single pixels, or something very
> small. Could I do this with an icon editor and still have the
> shortcut?

In your original post, you wanted to remove the shortcuts from your desktop
and continue using your keyboard shortcuts. Now you don't want to do that?
Or you want to make the iocns invisible by using a tiny image for the icon?
You would still need to figure out something with the icon label. Why not
move those desktop shortcuts that possess a keyboard shortcut into a
folder. Then move the folder into the start menu so that your desktop is
not cluttered, yet the shortcuts are close at hand?

Anyhow, there is a small file is used on some web pages for positioning
purposes. It is one clear pixel clear and is usually named "spacer.gif" You
probably get one or two of these files in your Temporary Internet Files
folder everyday and could grab a copy from there. After giving the file a
permanent home on your hard drive, you could use Properties of any desktop
shortcut and change its icon to spacer.gif.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User