ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) Subnet Issue

schalliol

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
We have an application here that requires sharing of a small network into a larger network, and we'd like to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing. This works right now for most applications, but it doesn't work for the private subnet the hosting machine is on.

The ICS subnet is 192.168.15.xxx and the subnet on the hosted machine (the primary network) is 192.168.14.xxx. I set the DNS up to allow the private network to hit the larger network and get out to the Internet. It actually works with other private subnets on the network, but strangely not the one the host machine is on, and it works just fine out to the Internet. As such, we can't reach printers in the building, etc.

I wondered if anyone could help regarding the setup. I've attached a picture of the host Windows Machine's small private network.
Local%20Net%20IP%20v4.PNG

I've also attached a picture of the details on the corporate network:
Corp%20Net.PNG

And attached what I have checked on the larger network under ICS:
Corp%20Net%20Properties.PNG

The client machine points to 192.168.15.1 (the PC on the private NIC) as its router.

Any ideas how I can make the Windows 7 machine route to the 192.168.14 subnet? Thanks so much!

Solution
I would turn off ICS and bridge the network adapters on the machine where you currently use ICS. ICS must be off to use a bridge. Just open the network control panel, change adapter settings, and highlight the two adapters that need to be connected, then right click and select bridge connections.

RealBeast

Titan
I would turn off ICS and bridge the network adapters on the machine where you currently use ICS. ICS must be off to use a bridge. Just open the network control panel, change adapter settings, and highlight the two adapters that need to be connected, then right click and select bridge connections.

Solution

schalliol

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006

Interesting idea. If I were to do this, would the other devices' communication still be joined to the AD network without having to join directly?