Question iCue Fan Curve, best sensor to base it on?

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Hello,

I finished my Custom Loop, and while I'm waiting for my Water Temp Sensor to arrive (In a couple of weeks), I figured I would work on a custom Fan Curve using iCue, since I'm running a Commander Pro.

So I noticed I can base the Fan Curve on different sensors, default being "CPU Package". But I noticed that when reading my temperatures, "CPU Package" is normally 10-15C Higher than the individual cores. I see a single core every now and then jump up to similar levels but drops down immediately.

So my question is; is the "CPU Package" the best sensor to base my fan curve on? Or should I select an individual core?

Thank you.

Your custom loop is likely more than sufficient for the fans to run at a fixed RPM and keep temps under control. Unless you are running a tight/small build or using an undersized rad. You may have to experiment a little to find that setting.

The problem with setting the fans to respond to the CPU is that they will rev to full power and then slow as the package quickly heats and cools under a short load, like opening a program or game. I find that very annoying as the cooling capacity provided by a short burst of RPMs like that is minimal.

For reference I had a 280 rad on a 6600k and 1070 both with minor overclocks. (4.4G boost and 1.85G boost respectively) I could set my fans (corsair MLs) to 60% and the system would be fine at 100% load and still quiet at 0% load. If you aren't comfortable with that then the CPU package is the most steady reading from the CPU and is probably your best source for attaching a fan curve.

Once you have a fluid temp sensor you can set a nice smooth curve based on that.

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
You are correct, I am running a small/tight build in a small case.

And yes, I noticed that... Fans go up and just drop down because the temp changes drastically really fast.

Ok, so I should just wait on the Water sensor to make a better curve. Sounds good.