Question ICUE with non Corsair products

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I have 8 Phantek digital halo fan frames. 6 Airgoo neon LED strips. 1 Thermaltake Pacific R1 Ram cover. I'm beyond sick of just how bad Asrock's Polychrome sync is. So I'm giving ICUE a shot. How I had everything wired before was the ARGB header of my Z490 Taichi, connected into this powered splitter box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then all items plugged into the splitterbox. From daisy chaining some, I was only using 6 out of the box's 12 headers and it all lit up fine. So I thought I'd be able to just get a Corsair lighting node pro and use it in place of my motherboards ARGB header. So I order one from Amazon, it arrives, aaaaaaaaaand it was an open box item with 3 out of the 4 LED strips damaged... 2 out of the 4 was snapped down to the adhesive backing. How does one even manage to snap bendable rubber? Sigh... Thanks Amazon. lol Sorry, had to whine a tad there.
So anyways, I get it replaced, ordered this cable to tie to the splitter box https://www.ebay.com/itm/372521827376
but it's not working like my previous setup. I get that I was never going to be able to run modes that had sequential lighting and get it to run right and look as nice as actual corsair fans. But I was expecting it all to at least light up like it was before. So far all I can get lit is the 6 Airgoo strips by tricking ICUE into thinking they're 6 LL series RGB fans. I know I didn't miswire because if I select it to be 6 SP series RGB fans instead, all items light up, but only 6 LED per item. I don't understand why ICUE can't do what Polychrome Sync can do. From the research I've done Polychrome is about universally considered to be the flat out worse software of the PC RGB world. That splitterbox should be sending the same ICUE signal to all items like it was when using Polychrome. So I'm at a loss and can use some advice. Thanks in advance.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
So instead of picking a fan mode to try and get as many LED as possible, what I had to do this morning was daisy chain the 8 fan frames. Select RGB strip, 3 strips connected, to get the fan frame's 30 LED each amount. And then not use my splitter box and tie the frames into the lighting node with the Corsair to aura cable adapter. So though all frames are a mirror of each other and I won't be able to run modes that only are lighting one fan at a time, at least the sequential modes are working properly.
Unfortunately that means my LED strips and RAM cover are back with the splitter box and being controlled by crappy Polychrome.
ICUE doesn't want to run multiple kinds of devices at once even if you select more LED than each device is using. I tested and I could either get the RAM cover, the strips, or the fan frames to work, each at a time. But not multiple different kinds at once. So if I want it all to work with ICUE I suspect I'll need 3 control boxes, 1 for each type of item. Plus 3 more Corsair to aura adapters. For some reason when all was tied together with the splitter box, ICUE picks the Airgoo strips as being prime and will only light those. Same when testing the ram cover and the strips together.
I think the problem I'm having is due to just how good ICUE is to begin with. ICUE can address each single LED at a time. While Polychrome is just sending a blanket signal to all LED at once which is then passed on by the splitter box. Since ICUE is picking LED, it doesn't know what to do with the other types of LED items? My 2 cents anyways. Was hoping it would work but lol Murphy's law says nothing can ever be easy I guess. But at least the frames looks loads better now. I love how you can program your own modes with ICUE. It's sooooooo much better than Polychrome. lol But then again what isn't? My dinky 3 button controller to this thing is better or at least as good as Polychrome. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000866279035.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.25104c4dW7BPNq

Down the road I'll probably try one of the Corsair RGB fan LED hubs since they are only 9.99. Another cable is 10 bucks, then shipping and tax so another 30 bucks or so to tie in 6 more LED strips to ICUE. That might be worth it to me some day. As of now I'm calling it good I guess.
lol All this might seem expensive, but not in comparison if I had just gone with Corsair to begin with. For just 3 Corsair LL series fans it's over 120 bucks not counting tax or shipping. That's around what I've spent for my entire RGB set up plus I have the superior to Corsair, Noctua fans. Those fans are as silent as it gets.