ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L Closed-Loop CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2014
Now as for the article, I kind of like the simple solution of having the motherboard control the fans, but understand that some may want a more robust solution. Very good article.

This is an excellent piece of hardware. I have the Corsair H100i now and the software controlled fans are extremely buggy. I'd love to be able to control everything with the motherboard.. Definitely my next buy if they prove to be reliable.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Yay, do more aliexpress reviews! I love all my Chinese stuff. ID_Cooling makes some great radiator fans. For $8 a pop on newegg they pack a bigger punch than most of corsair's lineup.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I don't understand why motherboard fan control qualifies as a "con" in 2016. When you get a picture of the temperature range from your cpu under this cooler, you go to UEFI and set an appropriate custom/auto PWM curve for your needs. Then you just forget about it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the original said "motherboard only" and it's only listed as a "con" because it's a cost-offset. The article clearly states my preference for it.

I'm up for any re-phrasing ideas in the pros and cons box. Getting it changed could take a day though because the list is in a graphic that I can't access.

gilbadon

Distinguished

Okay, so this is the coolest thing I have seen in weeks (and CES just happened!)

Yeah, I'm liking the results, but I'm wary of chinese engineering. I know most companies, regardless of brand, are manufacturing their products overseas, but when it's designed there as well, those kinds of products tend to start showing issues after a while. I'd like to wait a while before recommending this and see if trends regarding component failure or leakage become prevalent.

Even their website, when you click on "English" below thermal solutions, is broken, and shows you a Chinese version. I'm pretty sure all those chinese engineered hover boards catching on fire was just a fluke though. Hopefully, this IS a decent product and I'm wrong about the quality, as it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for some of the better known brands to have to up their game a bit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe the link is taking you to the wrong place? How about starting out from the English-language website?

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/productList/category_parent/72/category/74/name/FROSTFLOW%20Series

I still don't see any of these for sale anywhere in the US, UK, Deutschland, Canada, Australia, Italy, Spain or New Zealand, any of the places our user base tends to originate, and PCPartpicker represents, so did they decide not to sell these or are they only going to be available for sale to people in Asia?

Not even sure why they sent you a review sample if they didn't plan to bring them to market anywhere.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

They sell them direct.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181842957385

I see. Ok, thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

Have you used the sample for any length of time since doing the review and can you offer an opinion on whether there are any concerns that may have cropped up since the initial review. I may want one of these for a client build if they're a solid product. I know a lot of products look good initially, and then problems present after a while so I'm just interested in knowing if you'd seen anything you'd be concerned about.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll tell you what: I can't say much about what to do in a pump failure (I'd hate to send the whole unit to China), but in the event of a fan failure tell them you know me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.