News ID Cooling's SE-70: AMD's AM4 & Intel's LGA1200 CPUs Get a 280W Air Cooler

I think we are mising something here with the following statement:

"Keeping in mind that AMD has recommended to use 360-mm closed-loops liquid coolers with is Ryzen 5000-series processors and Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake-S CPUs might likely be rather hot too, mainstream platforms for enthusiasts are going to need advanced air coolers like ID Cooling's SE-70 that is rated for up to 280 W. "

First of all AMD has announced the Ryzen 5000 series should slot around the TDP (if not the same or below) of the 3000 series. In fact many people till this day have failed to realize that for example, the Ryzen 5600X is a 65Watts TDP cpu, when the old 3600X is a 95Watts part.

We all know TDP does not tell even half of the story, but I realy don't believe you will need a 360mm closed loop liquid cooler or a 280watts twin tower one to cool down every single Ryzen 5000 series, and specially not at stock settings.

Of course once you hit the OC land thats a whole new story.

I can't not talk about Rocket Lake desktop chips cause they are still far away, but if I have to guess they will probably get as hotter as the 10th gen series.

Reactions: 2Be_or_Not2Be

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa... that's an interesting design they're going with... :rolleyes:
Looks like Scythe fans met with a Thermalright heatsink.

I think we are mising something here with the following statement:

"Keeping in mind that AMD has recommended to use 360-mm closed-loops liquid coolers with is Ryzen 5000-series processors and Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake-S CPUs might likely be rather hot too, mainstream platforms for enthusiasts are going to need advanced air coolers like ID Cooling's SE-70 that is rated for up to 280 W. "

First of all AMD has announced the Ryzen 5000 series should slot around the TDP (if not the same or below) of the 3000 series. In fact many people till this day have failed to realize that for example, the Ryzen 5600X is a 65Watts TDP cpu, when the old 3600X is a 95Watts part.

We all know TDP does not tell even half of the story, but I realy don't believe you will need a 360mm closed loop liquid cooler or a 280watts twin tower one to cool down every single Ryzen 5000 series, and specially not at stock settings.

Of course once you hit the OC land thats a whole new story.

I can't not talk about Rocket Lake desktop chips cause they are still far away, but if I have to guess they will probably get as hotter as the 10th gen series.
That, and the blasted IHS reduces the efficiency of any cooler put on the cpu.
I wish direct die cooling was more popular with cpus, but that is its own can of worms...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Whoa... that's an interesting design they're going with... :rolleyes:
Looks like Scythe fans met with a Thermalright heatsink.

That, and the blasted IHS reduces the efficiency of any cooler put on the cpu.
I wish direct die cooling was more popular with cpus, but that is its own can of worms...

Back when it was he norm in the desktop market I never had to many problems with it. It does require a little more care and respect for the HS mounting process as damage to the CPU die is possible but honestly it wasn't horribly hard either. And thermal transfer was so much more efficient. At ther very least It would be a nice option. I am sure Intel and AMD would both love to charge us a premuim for the the privilege/hazard to our CPUs...

Reactions: Phaaze88

DSzymborski

Titan
Seems a bit pointless for AMD cpus when the AM4 socket has a max power of 142W

That's not completely precise. 142W is the default PPT limit for 105W TDP processors. Motherboard manufacturers are free to ignore that with PBO enabled; the ASRock Taichi X570 and the MSI X570 Godlike raise the maximum for PPT to 1000W and the Gigabyte X570 Ryzen Master to 500W. Not that you'd get within a mile of those, of course, but you can exceed 142W with motherboards that allow you to do so.

Reactions: deesider

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
At ther very least It would be a nice option. I am sure Intel and AMD would both love to charge us a premuim for the the privilege/hazard to our CPUs...
I would gladly pay for such an option if they ever did it - as long as the price would be within reason...

I've had my eye on Der8auer's X299 direct die frame, but never pulled the trigger, because at the time, I wasn't comfortable delidding a ~600USD cpu myself...
So I shipped my cpu to Silicon Lottery for delidding and binning some time before finding out about the DDF.
All I really need to do is put a stronger cooler on it if I want to run it at a stable 4.6ghz. Not worth it to take it apart again, IMO.

Now, whether the SE 70 will top a NH-D15...
[So far, ID Cooling's SE-70 has been announced only in China and Japan, so it is unclear whether and when it will be available elsewhere.]
Oh, well that's a bummer...