Discussion I'd like to formally request a forum for media server hardware ?

Jun 25, 2024
I ask this because we are on the cusp of being able to build a media server with nvme m.2 drives. Yes, we can now, but we need a better picture of what we can do with the hardware of today. This needs to be a static page or thread that is updated as changes to hardware dictate.

I found a motherboard with 5 nvme m.2 slots, but I found a forum post that stated using slot 1 would use your channels for video performance.

I want this because I had a top of the line name brand hard drive start glitching. As I understand it, the nvme m.2 drives should last a very long time as read only which is what will happen when the drive gets full of media files.

I have also moved all my home videos to my Plex Media server, so my Plex media server has become much more of a priority.

Please consider it.

Frank

Last edited:
NVMe drives can die just as quick as any other drive, the worst part is SSD's and M.2's dont give warnings most of the time, they just go.

Most people that are making a media server and not concerned with loosing PCIe lanes to the gpu slot as they are only streaming off the server not outputting video.

For my media server I run an older dell R320 server with an Intel 256GB SSD for OS and 3 18TB WD red pro drives for all my movies and tv shows. I also run tailscale on the server so i can VPN in with my laptop from anywhere in the world and stream media.

Jun 25, 2024
NVMe drives can die just as quick as any other drive, the worst part is SSD's and M.2's dont give warnings most of the time, they just go.

Most people that are making a media server and not concerned with loosing PCIe lanes to the gpu slot as they are only streaming off the server not outputting video.

For my media server I run an older dell R320 server with an Intel 256GB SSD for OS and 3 18TB WD red pro drives for all my movies and tv shows. I also run tailscale on the server so i can VPN in with my laptop from anywhere in the world and stream media.
I have a similar setup. I want to dump the spinning drives and use M.2 NVMe SSDs only for media. I use Plex with a lifetime Plex Pass subscription. I no longer have to manage VPN connections.
It works on computers, Roku, iPads...anything almost.