[SOLVED] I'd like to improve my PC's memory with additional 2x8GB, but I have little confusion

Apr 26, 2020
Hi guys! I need a little help with choosing the RAM for my PC!

I have a PC with this MoBo:
Gigabyte B360M Aorus Gaming 3

I have 16GB RAM in it, these ones:
G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) Aegis DDR4 2400MHz CL17 KIT F4-2400C17D-16GIS

Because of my work, some softwares needs a lot RAM sometimes, and now the it's the time, I can add more 16GB RAMs into my PC, but...
I know the best way if I add the same 2x8GB RAM (same brand, same frequency, same timings) but in my country now it's not on sale in many shops, just in one kind of noname shop.

I found these RAMs on sale in more shops, and a little bit cheaper:
G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) Aegis DDR4 2400MHz CL15 KIT F4-2400C15D-16GIS

These memories from the same brand, same frequency, the only differencies in timings (mine now is CL17, and what I'm looking for is CL15).

My questions is I can add these memories which have a little less timing without any problem (thinking about PC stability, or using)
What can happen if I buy the lower timings one, should my PC work?

Sorry for my english, and for the long post...

Solution
No problem with your English and your post is not that long. Actually it is well written and contains necessary information,

With respect to RAM the guiding document is the motherboard's User Manual.

I found the following User Manual for your motherboard. However, you should verify that the link is indeed a match.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b360m-aorus-gaming-3_1003_e.pdf

Supported RAM specs are presented in Section 1-2, Physically numbered Page 5.

Supported memory installation and configurations are presented on physically numbered Pages 9 and 10.

However, in many cases you need to refer back to the manufacturer's website for up-to-date information regarding supported RAM and RAM...

Ralston18

Titan
No problem with your English and your post is not that long. Actually it is well written and contains necessary information,

I found the following User Manual for your motherboard. However, you should verify that the link is indeed a match.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b360m-aorus-gaming-3_1003_e.pdf

Supported memory installation and configurations are presented on physically numbered Pages 9 and 10.

However, in many cases you need to refer back to the manufacturer's website for up-to-date information regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations. Details matter.

Do two things:

1) Use Gigabytes data to identify supported RAM and RAM configurations.

2) Go to RAM manufacturers (PNY, Kingston, Samsung, G.Skill) and use their memory comparators to look up, identify, and verify RAM modules supported by your motherboard.

Again details matter so look at the specs very closely, read any notes and fine print. Go to Gigabyte's website - read through their FAQ's and Forums regarding your motherboard and RAM.

If the available (in shops) G.Skill RAM modules have the same specs as other brands and are listed as supported by both Gigabyte and other manufacturers then it is likely that the modules will work.

Ask about being able to return the modules if they do not work. Details matter and there are can be problems with mislabeled RAM or even just simply counterfeit products.

Reactions: Sabala and SamirD
Solution
Apr 26, 2020

However, in many cases you need to refer back to the manufacturer's website for up-to-date information regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations. Details matter.

Do two things:

1) Use Gigabytes data to identify supported RAM and RAM configurations.

2) Go to RAM manufacturers (PNY, Kingston, Samsung, G.Skill) and use their memory comparators to look up, identify, and verify RAM modules supported by your motherboard.

Again details matter so look at the specs very closely, read any notes and fine print. Go to Gigabyte's website - read through their FAQ's and Forums regarding your motherboard and RAM.

If the available (in shops) G.Skill RAM modules have the same specs as other brands and are listed as supported by both Gigabyte and other manufacturers then it is likely that the modules will work.

Ask about being able to return the modules if they do not work. Details matter and there are can be problems with mislabeled RAM or even just simply counterfeit products.
Thank you for the detailed answer!

The manual, which sent by you is perfectly correct. I looked into the details in the manual, googled for the G.Skill's website, and the Gigabyte's website too as you mentioned. Tried to get every detailed information which I can from these RAMs.
The only differencies which I found is the timings and the lesser timings one (the CL15) has a featured, called XMP ready. I don't know what is XMP, but I guess, because it's a feature, it doesn't make serious sense.
My motherboard support both of these RAM modules, so in my opinion if I put these RAMs in the right sockets, the timings maybe won't ruin my PC.
I hope...

Apr 26, 2020
Adding extra memory to existing memory has no guarantee to be compatible together.

Since you can make any combinations you want, your free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.
Thank you for the answer Calvin!

Yeah, this is why I worried about it, and since it's not "free", I have to make a hard decision, at least in my opinion.
But maybe I'll fail some money, who cares... 😁

To be serious, the RAM which I'm looking for is 95% the same with the ones what I'm using now, I can't believe now something can go wrong, but I experienced interesting troubles in the past years, so I don't know what to do yet...
Still can't make the decision

Apr 26, 2020
Do you have CPU-z?

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Download and install.

The CPU-z results should help you understand your current RAM configuration.

Understanding XMP (starter link):

https://www.crucial.in/support/articles-faq-memory/what-is-xmp
Yes, I checked it.

I found an interesting thing about my RAM configuration.
I bought this RAM set in 2018's summer, it said this is a dual channel kit, but after checked in CPU-z and AIDA64, both says the two 8 GB RAM working in single channel. Checked that I put them into the right slots according to the manual, and yes, the two module is in the right slot. I don't understand....

Bytheway, back to the original topic, I'm thinking on buying the CL15 RAM modules next to the CL17, maybe it won't be a big deal for my MoBo to handle it.

Apr 26, 2020
One quick thought: Take a closer look at the User Guide/Manual for your Motherboard.

Some motherboards require that the first installed RAM module goes into a specific slot.
Yep, in this morning I went after this problem, and found one topic, where one guy said if the MoBo has 4 slots but you use only 2 modules, then they need to be in the first slot. So today afternoon I'll put them into the other 2 slots.
The manual doesn't mention anything about this, but who knows. Now the modules in the DIMM4_2 and DIMM4_4 slots, maybe this cause the problem.

Yep, in this morning I went after this problem, and found one topic, where one guy said if the MoBo has 4 slots but you use only 2 modules, then they need to be in the first slot. So today afternoon I'll put them into the other 2 slots.
The manual doesn't mention anything about this, but who knows. Now the modules in the DIMM4_2 and DIMM4_4 slots, maybe this cause the problem.
For dual channel mode to work, you need to have the modules installed with an unfilled slot between them. On your motherboard model, your slots are marked
|CPU Socket| |DDR4_4|DDR4_2|DDR4_3|DDR4_1|.

You would install two modules in slots DDR4_4 and DDR4_3 or DDR4_2 and DDR4_1 for dual channel mode to work. If you install 4 modules it will always be dual channel mode.

Apr 26, 2020
For dual channel mode to work, you need to have the modules installed with an unfilled slot between them. On your motherboard model, your slots are marked

You would install two modules in slots DDR4_4 and DDR4_3 or DDR4_2 and DDR4_1 for dual channel mode to work. If you install 4 modules it will always be dual channel mode.
According to the manual, it says Channel A is for DMM4_4 and DMM4_2, and Channel B is for DMM4_3 and DMM4_1.

I thought the modules needs to be in the right slots what the Channels says, if I'd like to use the dual channel mode.
But under this information, a table shows the dual channel configuration, where teh module are placed like in your answer.

Maybe my logic thinking tricked me with Channel A/Channel B thing, because I found the numbers 4/2 and 3/1 interesting too, but I believed to the manual. I guess I misunderstand then something...
Tonight I'll put the modules into their right DMM slots, and answer here about the consequencies.

Apr 26, 2020

Huge Thanks!
You were right!
I put one module into the other slot (now the modules in the DIMM4_4 and DIMM4_3 slots) and now the cpu recognise them in dual channel working!
One problem solved! 😊