[SOLVED] Id like to upgrade my i5 3570k

Vicissitude

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I think its finally time, i overclocked it to 4.2 ghz but it really chugs when i running unoptimized games cough last oasis cough
Currently im running asrock z77 extreme4, ddr3 ram, gigabyte rtx 2070 and a noctua nh d15 with a 144 hz 1080p monitor, if you need anymore stats let me know. This PC is for gaming , VR, and media consumption only, i dont do any work on it.
Ive been looking at the ryzen 5 3600x and i7 9700k, but im not really sold on anything yet. I dont care for the overclocking potential of the ryzen and i hate that intels come with integrated gpus, its a waste! Because i need to upgrade my ram and motherboard this is going to be a pretty big upgrade, most of the computer. Im wondering if the 200+ extra bucks for the i7 is worth it, keeping in mind i 1) like to futureproof, after all im just now considering getting rid if my 3570k, and 2) i will be overclocking to help with the first part 3) i dont upgrade often, figuring out parts compatibility and whats good is a headache for me so im not going to pawn off my cpu in a year so i can get the next gen. Open to other cpu suggestions, as well as matching motherboards. I dont want to get the cheapest motherboard this time as i realize having a good quality one with good support can save a lot of headache.

Thanks for your response. Any reason i would get the ryzen 7 over the i7? I keep hearing amd is on par and competitive if not outright better in some cases. But my experience is with intel, with my noctua i dont think i have an am4 mount. I would have to send in proof of purchase to get a free one and it would mean me sitting here with all my parts waiting on a free part thats likely being snail mailed. I dont know if i can take that.
You should go with Ryzen because it has multi-threading, which the i7 lacks. This means the R7 has 16 threads, while i7 only has 8 threads. This can make a ton of difference in games that want more than 8 threads, which might not be a lot currently but many modern AAA games have starting needing more than 8 threads, so in the future you can only expect this number to increase. In such games, the i7 will cause stutters that you won't notice in average FPS, and maybe not even in 1% low, but you'll definitely experience them when actually playing.

Plus, the R7 comes with a decent stock cooler, which means you can still use the CPU while you wait for the AM4 bracket to arrive, the stock cooler is capable enough for out of the box speeds and moderate overclocks, definitely better than Intel stock cooler. If you feel the need, you can always remove the stock cooler and install the Noctua once you receive the bracket, though keep in mind you'll need thermal paste for that.

I think its finally time, i overclocked it to 4.2 ghz but it really chugs when i running unoptimized games cough last oasis cough
Currently im running asrock z77 extreme4, ddr3 ram, gigabyte rtx 2070 and a noctua nh d15 with a 144 hz 1080p monitor, if you need anymore stats let me know. This PC is for gaming , VR, and media consumption only, i dont do any work on it.
Ive been looking at the ryzen 5 3600x and i7 9700k, but im not really sold on anything yet. I dont care for the overclocking potential of the ryzen and i hate that intels come with integrated gpus, its a waste! Because i need to upgrade my ram and motherboard this is going to be a pretty big upgrade, most of the computer. Im wondering if the 200+ extra bucks for the i7 is worth it, keeping in mind i 1) like to futureproof, after all im just now considering getting rid if my 3570k, and 2) i will be overclocking to help with the first part 3) i dont upgrade often, figuring out parts compatibility and whats good is a headache for me so im not going to pawn off my cpu in a year so i can get the next gen. Open to other cpu suggestions, as well as matching motherboards. I dont want to get the cheapest motherboard this time as i realize having a good quality one with good support can save a lot of headache.
Since you want to be future-proof, I'd actually suggest going with a Ryzen 7 rather than Ryzen 5, even if you have to go one generation back to fit it into your budget. 6 cores 12 threads run everything current perfectly, but might fall short some time in the future, so you want the extra cores and threads of a Ryzen 7 to future-proof yourself. My guess is if you can be willing to pay the extra 200 for the i7, you should be able to get a Ryzen 7 3700X as well. That would be my suggestion. In fact, if you could stretch to 500 and get the Ryzen 7 3900X, which is a 12 core processor, you'd be golden for a long time, but I'd say that's a bit overkill at this point of time.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Intel still top dog for Gaming which is what you want. Whats you budget like ?

Vicissitude

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Since you want to be future-proof, I'd actually suggest going with a Ryzen 7 rather than Ryzen 5, even if you have to go one generation back to fit it into your budget. 6 cores 12 threads run everything current perfectly, but might fall short some time in the future, so you want the extra cores and threads of a Ryzen 7 to future-proof yourself. My guess is if you can be willing to pay the extra 200 for the i7, you should be able to get a Ryzen 7 3700X as well. That would be my suggestion. In fact, if you could stretch to 500 and get the Ryzen 7 3900X, which is a 12 core processor, you'd be golden for a long time, but I'd say that's a bit overkill at this point of time.
Thanks for your response. Any reason i would get the ryzen 7 over the i7? I keep hearing amd is on par and competitive if not outright better in some cases. But my experience is with intel, with my noctua i dont think i have an am4 mount. I would have to send in proof of purchase to get a free one and it would mean me sitting here with all my parts waiting on a free part thats likely being snail mailed. I dont know if i can take that.

the old i5, and today any quad core/quad thread CPU, will limit FPS to likely half those possible by more powerful/modern architectures, and, particularly, the dreaded .1/1% lows...and it most definitely is not normally considered an ideal CPU for 144 Hz monitors, perhaps short of CS:Go and a few others that have notably high FPS....

The R5-3600 (and 3700X) and B450 combo are the pretty hot sellers right now, and, for darn good reasons.

You should go with Ryzen because it has multi-threading, which the i7 lacks. This means the R7 has 16 threads, while i7 only has 8 threads. This can make a ton of difference in games that want more than 8 threads, which might not be a lot currently but many modern AAA games have starting needing more than 8 threads, so in the future you can only expect this number to increase. In such games, the i7 will cause stutters that you won't notice in average FPS, and maybe not even in 1% low, but you'll definitely experience them when actually playing.

Plus, the R7 comes with a decent stock cooler, which means you can still use the CPU while you wait for the AM4 bracket to arrive, the stock cooler is capable enough for out of the box speeds and moderate overclocks, definitely better than Intel stock cooler. If you feel the need, you can always remove the stock cooler and install the Noctua once you receive the bracket, though keep in mind you'll need thermal paste for that.

D

Deleted member 1560910

I would go 9700k with a mid range motherboard. 16 gig ram duel channel. You dont really need all those ryzen threads if you are gaming/vr

I would go 9700k with a mid range motherboard. 16 gig ram duel channel. You dont really need all those ryzen threads if you are gaming/vr
Ever played Battlefield V multiplayer on an 8 thread processor? Or Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Just two examples of the many new AAA games that don't run smoothly on 8 threads, and need at least 12 threads for smooth performance. And these are current games, you can expect more in the future.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Ever played Battlefield V multiplayer on an 8 thread processor? Or Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Just two examples of the many new AAA games that don't run smoothly on 8 threads, and need at least 12 threads for smooth performance. And these are current games, you can expect more in the future.
Does OP play BFV ?

D

Deleted member 1560910

I play a lot of large scale combat games and will keep doing so in the future.
If you are not playing BFV and play alot of old game that requires good single thread performance a9700 would be fine even 9600k put the money for something else like new keyboard or something. If you are a hardcore BF5 play than more threads like 16 is needed IMO. Make sure you get a good motherboard that has a good vrm

Vicissitude

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VNDsWb
Im thinking about rolling with this. Cost is a little over 800, so not too far out of my budget. Everything except the cpu motherboard and ram are from my old pc. I dont really like the motherboard options as everything with decent usb ports comes with wifi, which i dont need. Im hoping with some overclocking this combo will last well into the future for online gaming/vr. My other option is to drop down to the r7 3700x or 3800x, but its i think 100 bucks more (from the 3800) for 4 more cores a slightly higher clock speed. I know there isnt much performance increase between the ryzen 7s and the 9s but many people have said its due to games not being able to utilize the extra cores yet. I dont really play AAA games and when i do i dont care about 100 fps vs 120 fps. What i care about is high fps in shooters and other skill based games so that im not experiencing stuttering.

I would also agree with waiting for Ryzen 4000, if you can hold off on the upgrade till second half of 2020, at the most till January 2021, you'll get a Ryzen 4000 CPU which might actually beat Intel in both multi-threaded and single-threaded speeds, becoming the ultimate CPU for gaming and future-proofing at the same time. But, if not, then I would indeed say the Ryzen 9 3900X is your best bet at getting a chip that lasts you long-term, and you'll definitely get 120 FPS in any game that the GPU is capable of running at 120 FPS. Ryzen CPU's are more of a limitation over 120 FPS, and overclocking might also help reduce that. All-in-all, you might not hit 144 FPS in a few games, but you'll still get smooth performance in every game.

ASK THE COMMUNITY