I'd Play 'Landfall,' An Oculus Rift Third-Person RTS With Xbox Controllers, For Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I played DCS World in VR for 4.5 hours last night. I just got my OSVR HDK2 in on Monday. It has the same screen resolution and size as the rift and vive but has a true RGB panel, (50% more subpixels, better image for the same horsepower). It is also open source so will work will any controller (wii, move, kinect, etc.) I got it for $350.

It is AMAZING, if you have a VR device you NEED to fly this sim, and if you fly this sim you NEED to get a HDK2! I could do things like; make amazing long range gun kills (P-51!), pick where on the enemy plane I wanted my bullets to hit just by "feel" (P-51 fixed sight!), make buttery smooth landings on the center line EVERY TIME, fly under bridges, between guy wires, etc that I couldn't do very well or at all on a monitor! It is VERY close to the real thing, I would know, I am a pilot.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
>you sit on a couch with a Rift on your face and an Xbox controller in your lap.

Not a chance. If I'm not playing a room-scale game, a 4K display is a much better option than sitting on the couch with a display attached to my head.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Disagree. Your 4K display is 2D.

And that's my larger point here. VR can be really cool, even with something like this.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
playing for hours with your VR, well your in the minority here and cashing in your adverts cheque and writing about it wont change the world, in about 3-5years 99% will still be traditional gamers and they industry will realize how many billions of $$$ got wasted

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I...don't understand the content nor the tenor of this comment.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
WIFIBURGER is just totally ignorant plain and simple. He hates VR and actually bothers to read and comment repeatedly about it... He does not seem to understand VR is potentially far more efficient than a monitor and has has countless applications. While it's primitive at the moment it is already decent enough to often be mind blowing at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.