id Software Releases New RAGE Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ID makes good engines, but their games haven't been good for a quite a few years now. I feel pessimistic about Rage and I think it will turn out like Doom 3.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I feel pessimistic about Rage and I think it will turn out like Doom 3.

What are you talking about? Doom 3 was / is a great game with really addictive fun multiplayer. It is more like arcade style multiplayer - nothing too tricky but little things to do that separate good from not.

I am not that impressed with the look of Rage. I hope it turns out better in motion.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Expansive world, Bethesda, future, wasteland, bandit gangs, mutants.

With all these words in the same paragraph, I can't help but notice this is a mix of Fallout and Borderlands. I will of course have to check it out to see if I end up being right.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Those graphics look too... 2005/2006. Xbox 360/PS3, that is.

With all the CPU, GPU and RAM horsepower we have nowadays, the PC version could look a lot better.

I'm hoping it does, but I don't think it will. At that town mayor's face looks as though they we also not the ones making any improvement whatsoever in facial animation. It's a big part of a game. If you can convey true to life characters, the whole game will look more realistic.

Why is it that only Valve has done anything about it so far ? And that was in 2004, with Half-Life 2! They have continually improved it, including the latest Left for Dead 2 (although the game's action is so frantic I doubt many people noticed it).

Crytek promised facial animation improvements for Crysis 2. Let's see if they deliver.

It's actually something that bewilders me. All animated movies you watch in the cinema would be dubbed as crap if they didn't feature decent facial animation; somehow in the PC gaming realm it doesn't seem to matter when giving out the scores.

Why is it only Valve cared until now ? Has anybody forgotten Alyx's expressions and how they bring the game an extra layer of realism ?

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
commenting on TPI2007s comment

if you watched last years Xbox 360 game play demo of Rage you would know a couple of things or more.

1. the character animations are like nothing ever seen in a game each of them are uniquely different

2. the graphics are like nothing you have ever seen on the 360 before with as much detail as there is including the real-time animations that are like i said above like nothing you have seen before and all of this is running @ 60FPS with no lag.

3. the Id Tech 5 engine is very much super scaler engine and made to scale based on hardware now and in the future to some point and that if you have a 16 core CPU the engine will thread as much out as possible and use your resources.

4. this is for everyone but Rage was in the works long before Borderlands was even a thought in the minds of Gearbox and now bethesda and Id software are 2 entities under 1 roof now so any simularties to Fall-out are just inspired by moments.

5. Rage in the beging was a 50/50 game 50% FPS 50% racing but from what Todd and the rest of Id software have said since then is that it is an Open but directed FPS with some racing elements and minor RPG elements implemented . you can upgrade your vehicles customize them as you can with your weapons and or add different elements of other weapons together to create something new but beyond that that is about all the RPGish there is.

i am missing some things i am sure but anyways it will be an awesome ride

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Whew.... same old comments. Why is it that so many people rag so hard on id? I'm forty nine; I played Doom when it came out, some of Hexen and by the time Quake came out I was burned out on FPS and ignored Quake. At that point I started playing stuff like Fallout and Command and Conquer. I know, who cares! What I will say is that when id releases something they at least get my attention.

I have a certain amount of lack of respect for the same old comments about Fallout 3/Borderlands and Rage. Let's not get too Jungian on y'all, but there is an X amount of archetypes out there. Some of those archetypes are mixed and matched into something new, but overall there are a lot of shared features in games within a particular genre. So if you are sharp, you will realize that there is a tautology when you say a game is in a genre.

I really don't care that there are some similarities in a broad brush. So there are bandits, or the environment is destroyed and therefore a "wasteland." That’s a genre that many time I'd rather play in anyway. So if any game that may have share some aspects with 1988's "Wasteland" is horribly derivative, or if you just can't stomach a FPS with guns, or an outerspace epic of some sort; then why are you yakking at us, use that fat brain of yours to create a new genre. Good luck with that.

Personally I'm looking forward to playing it. I loved Fallout 1/2/3, Tactics and Borderlands; but I am very interested in id's new engine and at what they've come up with.....

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
@BigMack70

It’s best not to make unwarranted assumptions. Notuptome2004 mentioned the Xbox 360 pretty much because that was what it was demo’d on. He explicitly mentioned that the engine is set to scale up so “that if you have a 16 core CPU the engine will thread as much out as possible and use your resources.” Unless you know something that we don’t that’s most likely a reference to PC’s. I do the vast majority of my gaming on my PC. I’ve only owned a Xbox 360 for a few years now, as I bought it to play Mass Effect on. I'm looking forward to playing Rage.

As to if the iD Tech 5 engine will be represent nothing new for PC’s, we will have to wait and see. My guess is that it will be a step forward. To keep my analysis within the genre many people are mentioning; I have little doubt it will represent a huge step forward from Gamebyro and likely a step beyond Unreal 3. I am a little disappointed the iD Tech 5 engine will not use DirectX 10 API.

hcstnfrd

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
As much as I would like to like this game, with it's pseudo steampunk and dystopic setting and sandbox play, I just feel like I've done this in Borderlands too many times before.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I really hope the devs of games start using very wide scaling on their games more, hi-res textures and high-poly models ect at base then scale it so it matches their respective targets. Many titles have a good range of scaling from weak to good but few take advantage of good to awesome. Tessellation ect will help in that regard and also help reduce the time it takes to make a title while also take advantage of all the different hardware!

If now only MS would make a new xbox with dx11 it would make everyone happy. Consolers get a much needed upgrade (Yepp their pitifully weak today), PC gamers can start taking advantage of the latest gfx cards and cpu's (sandybridge's ftw in gaming!) and not least the devs don't have to create several code paths for dx9-dx11 in order to make everyone happy!

My 2 cents on todays gaming

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
From what I have read this will be DX9 so that it works on consoles. DX11 may, or may not, come later.

Never the less I don't see the DX11 support adding much to the graphics and I doubt it will using the PhysX capability. So it sounds more like it will be a bad and expensive port to the PC. It seems to be really made just for console gamers.

I guess I don't need to build a new PC.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Looks good but not great or spectacular by any means. This might have to do with the share size of the worlds though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure the gameplay itself will be awesome.

G

I've never played borderlands or fallout, but there's just something about this game that rubs me the wrong way. I dunno what it is, but it just seems like iD is trying too hard these days. No real new ideas, nothing creative, just shipping out another FPS to stay relevant. The graphics dont even seem that special, and so many sacrifices will be made so that this thing runs on consoles.

I give RAGE a big "meh" on the ratings scale.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dib[/nom]From what I have read this will be DX9 so that it works on consoles. DX11 may, or may not, come later. Never the less I don't see the DX11 support adding much to the graphics and I doubt it will using the PhysX capability. So it sounds more like it will be a bad and expensive port to the PC. It seems to be really made just for console gamers.I guess I don't need to build a new PC.[/citation]

Rage and Id Tech 5 use OpenGL witch can do everything DX11 can do so the PC version will and is not a cheap ass port. but i guess some are to lazy to do research on what is going on with the game since day one and how each platform is being done

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]norage[/nom]I've never played borderlands or fallout, but there's just something about this game that rubs me the wrong way. I dunno what it is, but it just seems like iD is trying too hard these days. No real new ideas, nothing creative, just shipping out another FPS to stay relevant. [/citation]

If I am not mistaken, other than the recent "Rage" on iOS, id's last title was 2004's Doom 3. I'm not sure that trying "too hard" is the phrase I'd use for a situation like that. They are certainly not just creating "shovelware".

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]commenting on TPI2007s comment if you watched last years Xbox 360 game play demo of Rage you would know a couple of things or more.1. the character animations are like nothing ever seen in a game each of them are uniquely different2. the graphics are like nothing you have ever seen on the 360 before with as much detail as there is including the real-time animations that are like i said above like nothing you have seen before and all of this is running @ 60FPS with no lag.3. the Id Tech 5 engine is very much super scaler engine and made to scale based on hardware now and in the future to some point and that if you have a 16 core CPU the engine will thread as much out as possible and use your resources. 4. this is for everyone but Rage was in the works long before Borderlands was even a thought in the minds of Gearbox and now bethesda and Id software are 2 entities under 1 roof now so any simularties to Fall-out are just inspired by moments.5. Rage in the beging was a 50/50 game 50% FPS 50% racing but from what Todd and the rest of Id software have said since then is that it is an Open but directed FPS with some racing elements and minor RPG elements implemented . you can upgrade your vehicles customize them as you can with your weapons and or add different elements of other weapons together to create something new but beyond that that is about all the RPGish there is.i am missing some things i am sure but anyways it will be an awesome ride[/citation]
WOW you are a sucker for marketing lol
I can't even begin to count how many times I have heard
"the character animations are like nothing ever seen"
"the graphics are like nothing you have ever seen on the before"

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]*drooling*but the late date is a turn off. hoping the wait is worth it[/citation]

yes and it is true.

1. no other game currently out or in production has shown the smooth animations shown here. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-rage/700653 E3 live last year video 2

2. and no game currently on the 360 nore in development is pushing the graphics Rage is for the 360 and @ a solid 60hz 60FPS so it is a big deal so yea know so
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-rage/700655

I think it looks pretty good...
I'm excited for the next id software title..
Although admitedly I'm MORE excited about Diablo 3, Which is definitely not going to be a graphical revolution. Just good gameplay... (I hope, we will see though.)

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Haters will hate.

John Carmack still has it. Sure Doom 3 was a wobbly game (I happened to like it) but the graphics engine was nuts. Everyone has realtime shadows now but that's because of advances in hardware. The Doom 3 engine was doing it on hardware that should have made it impossible.

Quake Wars had impressive graphics but again I remember at the time going: Man there is no way this should be running at this resolution with these framerates on the card I have.

As for the new engine... Look it's *on par* with Crysis 2 basically but nobody is going to wonder "will it run?". It will.

Take a close look at the textures in that outdoor screenshot. Notice anything? No Tiles! Now picture it cranking all that out at 60 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.