id Software Talks Post-Launch Plans, Open Beta Session For 'Doom'

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The developers have three paid DLCs planned for the game"

In other words: we made the game, chopped it up into 4 pieces and will sell it to you bit by bit. Since no one will pay $105 for the game, we will break it up and make it seem that's not the actual cost for the complete program...DLC is such a scam.

id Software ??? you mean Bethesda

id has been dead and long gone .. Bethesda just plays off there good name [and drags it through the mud] in the hopes to fool folks like they seemed to did you on that

no carmack = no more id

a true id game is fully on the disk no steam crap involved and has a native Linux clients by them wheres all that now ?? Bethesda = steam suck buddy

lol...

toddybody

Distinguished

no carmack = no more id

lol...

Carmack is overrated as hell, resting on the laurels of 20+years back and has done nothing to push the collective gaming experience to new heights. Unreal and Crytek stand as the greatest technical gaming engines, and idTech is a massive PoS. In 2016, there is:

-No SLI Support
-Hardcoded 60fps cap
-Texture Streaming (which results in pop in...even for high end HW at common resolutions)

I played the DOOM closed beta and was really disappointed. 60fps made the "Ultra fast paced" shooter feel like mush.

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Doom always was primarily a single player game to play and create mods with. Shifting its focus to multiplayer is risky. On top of that the multiplayer looks mediocre. I hope it's better than it looks.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

In other words: we made the game, chopped it up into 4 pieces and will sell it to you bit by bit. Since no one will pay $105 for the game, we will break it up and make it seem that's not the actual cost for the complete program...DLC is such a scam.
OR they defined the features to finish the game, went into feature-lock a few weeks back, and all the features they couldn't fit into the game before the release date would be pushed back, so it was turned into DLC.

Now, the fact that it is a PAID DLC is controversial. Fallout 4 just released a survival mode as a free update, which could be made a paid one.

Just so people don't come thinking all DLC is a cash-grab scam (some are, though).

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

no carmack = no more id

lol...

Carmack is overrated as hell, resting on the laurels of 20+years back and has done nothing to push the collective gaming experience to new heights. Unreal and Crytek stand as the greatest technical gaming engines, and idTech is a massive PoS. In 2016, there is:

-No SLI Support
-Hardcoded 60fps cap
-Texture Streaming (which results in pop in...even for high end HW at common resolutions)

I played the DOOM closed beta and was really disappointed. 60fps made the "Ultra fast paced" shooter feel like mush.

Totally agree with toddybody. Carmack got the final bullet in the head with RAGE! , remember that crap with the crappy textures? For me he is an overpriced whore who sold his soul to consoles so that his kid has more shitloads of money.

He is writing few lines of code engine and he is payed as god. Good riddance, the Unreal engine is insanely good and i really dont care for 60fps game. Think that with rage we were at 25 or 30, graphics were terrible, should we worship bethesda for making games at 60? wow, what an evolution lol

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Guess what... The original Doom was broken up into episodes. Nothing really new here.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
From what I see of this game I'm not sure what to think of it. All I've seen is fast paced combat with a lot of jumping around and pre-baked animated attacks.

My first experience with Doom was on one Halloween years ago. To me it had more of an oppressive atmosphere interspersed with frenetic "Oh crap" moments that left you with a certain tension whenever you went somewhere new. I played most of the game methodically being careful not to overextend or I'd get myself into trouble. What they seem to be showing is more akin to the later hell levels so it is possible that they are just showcasing the flashy bits.

Multiplayer was also pretty much unheard of although Doom 2 multiplayer with two computers connected via serial ports was my first networked multiplayer PC experience. Hopefully they are still trying to get a good single player experience. I know multiplayer is where the longer term money is but I'm getting pretty weary of single player games I originally seem interested in turning into multiplayer games with either no single player or having a very small, poorly crafted single player modes.

jsomiller44

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Paid DLC to segment the community.. hmmm I think I will pass. (Tries to join server with a friend. "Unable to join because you do not have the necessary content")

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
get over it, I'll buy ID/Carmack games any days over Epic/Unreal garbage. Their unreal engine is so shit yes I'm looking at Gears of War with no colors and garbage net code !

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
"With multiplayer being a major focus for the game..."

:-(
yeah and if thats the case then they have a long ways to go cause it was trash in closed beta. they need to decide if they want old school shooter mechanics or if they are going to stick with this weird mix of modern shooter with loadouts and old school drops. at this point unreal which is under development is way better not ot mention its free.

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
"With multiplayer being a major focus for the game..."

:-(
yeah and if thats the case then they have a long ways to go cause it was trash in closed beta. they need to decide if they want old school shooter mechanics or if they are going to stick with this weird mix of modern shooter with loadouts and old school drops. at this point unreal which is under development is way better not ot mention its free.

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
multiplayer was trash in the beta anyways. u want a game with old school shooter mechanics then play the new unreal thats under development and is absolutely free.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Guess what... the very first Doom was broken down by the episode. Nothing new here!

Those were expansions that added new content. Not pieces of a game they chose to chop up to make more money from.

Status
Not open for further replies.