mapesdhs

Distinguished
"... when mobile phones suddenly became game machines ..."

Er, no. I don't think so.

"... used in word processing, email writing, ..."

:D Oh dear, here we go again, VR being overhyped once more. It's
found a profitable niche in industrial use where it can make a real
and useful difference, but bringing VR to the consumer market
presents a whole host of problems, especially medical issues.
Nintendo has danced around this area several times but always
backed away on health grounds.

Even with motion tracking, VR is no panacea of UI design. There's
obviously scope for its use in gaming, but we've been down this
road before. Even if the device provides a high quality display with
precision tracking, end pricing then becomes key, and I can't see
it being affordable enough to really open up the market, not yet.
But even if it does come to market and doesn't cost a fortune, VR
is not going to become the new way to do word processing or
email, that's just daft. I can only surmise those who say this sort
of thing have never actually used a motion tracked VR setup.

Ian.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Why the hell would his game company not want to have VR in their games!? That makes no sense! Are they complete idiots or something!? Anyway, John Carmack basically is id Software. He should kick their asses for not wanting VR. He can do what he wants. That is his company. I don't care what anyone else says about that!

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
if there is someone who can make this tech work on low latency, and provide tools for low level engine integration it's him.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Smart move Zenimax, you had one of the geniuses of game development working for you and launch titles for a new system that's been well received. Now you have what exactly? Just because you don't want to add full VR support to game engines that partially support it anyway?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
you know that zenimax was difinitely not thinking when they said no to this. Whatever they invested in VR integration for their games, they saved on marketing. Oculus has shown in the last year that they get alot of attention everywhere they go. the games or demos they show off get ALOT of exposure. they are a marketing machine in their own right. If they had accepted, they would still also have Carmack who is the genius behind some of their best games and tech theyve ever had. anyway, I cant say Im not glad he left id. id may be one of the more solid devs, but they were barely getting anyhting done. and that "its done when its done" mentality has hurt them more than its helped. the gaming community is much better off with Carmack actively working on the next evolution in gaming.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The problem with Id is their game engine, it doesn't need an overhaul, they need to create an entirely new engine. The Id Tech 4 engine was showing it's weaknesses in doom 3 and the Id Tech 5 engine used for Rage was a hot mess. They've been left behind by the like of the Unreal engine 3 and now UE4 and CryENGINE 3. They are not on the same level as these.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
for me, ID died with doom III, and was burried after rage. I like Carmack, but he is becoming obsolete.
John Carmack doesn't make games you braindead meatpuppet. He is a software engineer and even a hardware engineer as of late. He is a self taught genius and the one singular entity that brought gaming into the modern age with the modern game engine, 3D and modern GUI/HUDs. If you were to remove any other person from the history of modern videogames it wouldn't change much, but if he were to be removed then I think we'd still be piddling around in 2D with the occasionally rare 3D game practiced entirely on a 2D plane like sports games.He writes engines, and his code is used in EVERY. SINGLE. 3D. GAME. ENGINE. ON. THE. PLANET. There is zero exceptions to this. Many companies built their entire existence around his open source code (SEE: Valve, Infinity Ward, etc). Don't speak ill of our one true god.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I'd prefer him to finish his goal before all this helmet crap began. Voxel game engine. Not so easy as few screens + optics and sensors but in the end much more valuable. Such a shame =(

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
for me, ID died with doom III, and was burried after rage. I like Carmack, but he is becoming obsolete.
John Carmack doesn't make games you braindead meatpuppet. He is a software engineer and even a hardware engineer as of late. He is a self taught genius and the one singular entity that brought gaming into the modern age with the modern game engine, 3D and modern GUI/HUDs. If you were to remove any other person from the history of modern videogames it wouldn't change much, but if he were to be removed then I think we'd still be piddling around in 2D with the occasionally rare 3D game practiced entirely on a 2D plane like sports games.He writes engines, and his code is used in EVERY. SINGLE. 3D. GAME. ENGINE. ON. THE. PLANET. There is zero exceptions to this. Many companies built their entire existence around his open source code (SEE: Valve, Infinity Ward, etc). Don't speak ill of our one true god.
I never said he made games, note the . after the word Rage. It's true he added to the 3d games, but to say his code is in every game is just so wrong. But who am i to argue with a brownnose n00b.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Lauding up Carmack at id Software in this way is a bit of a misnomer IMO. The other people there
were just as important to the creation of the earlier games, eg. a lot of the coding of Doom was
done by Dave Taylor. Then there's John Romero, American McGee, Shawn Green, Jay Wilbur, etc.
Each performing vital functions in the formation of id's games. I can't really square the over-the-top
Carmack-worship we see today with the *combined* effort of all the company's staff I saw on
display when I visited them in 1995. Carmack didn't create Doom, Quake, etc. on his own; they all
did, and from what I saw in 1995, Dave Taylor may have been just as important wrt the coding of
the original Doom (maybe more, who can say?). See:

http://www.gamers.org/dhs/usavisit/dallas.html

Ironically, Carmack isn't the most sociable of people (or at least he wasn't back then) - he was the
one person I didn't get to meet. So who knows, the nature of personal relationships between
Carmack and those at ZeniMax (maybe the current staff at id aswell) might have been another factor
in his decision to leave id, but I doubt anyone at either company would talk about that sort of thing.

Was Carmack critical to the creation of Doom, etc.? You betcha! Could they have ever come out
without all the combined effort of many other people aswell? No. These games were complicated
to develop; it took a team effort to get the work done, not just one man.

Ian.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Rift might be useful for some, but it wont cause much of an impact at all. 1 big reason why is that it is too "invasive" to wear. There are of course other reasons.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Rift might be useful for some, but it wont cause much of an impact at all. 1 big reason why is that it is too "invasive" to wear. There are of course other reasons.
I think you're wrong about its success. It may be invasive but if you tried it I bet you'd take it over having 3 monitors of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.