IDC: Chromebooks Outselling iPads In Education Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
It takes a real genius to figure out how a keyboard can be a significant asset in the education sector. The generally lower prices do not hurt either.

For any remotely significant amount of typing, I vastly prefer a physical keyboard over an on-screen one: much fewer typos, it does not eat 30-50% of my screen and it allows separate angles for the hands/keyboard and screen/eyes. Much more comfortable in general.

LordConrad

Distinguished
As a computer tech, I bought a Chromebook to get familiar with them and see what all the fuss was about (I bought a 13 inch model). Because it boots so quickly and has a real keyboard, I'm constantly using it around the house and have mostly retired my iPad.

The Chromebook obviously can't compete with my Windows PC or Laptop for the big stuff, like gaming or video transcoding, but for the more simple everyday tasks this Chromebook is awesome.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Cheap and crippled to bare functionality is a perfect school device, and the keyboard alone makes it a superior option for schools. Why pay more just so the kids can mess around and be unproductive? For school purposes, I actually prefer these to Windows devices. Even Surface RT products would need a $200'ish price point to compete, and they're sitting at over 2x that with a keyboard.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I agree 100%, Invalid error. I'm leaning more towards a Chromebook over a tablet because of the keyboard. On a keyboard, I can do 60wpm easily. On a touch screen, I drop to some days 5wpm, 10wpm if I'm lucky.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Other than price, but that has even now been matched, there's ZERO reason to own a Chromebook. Sure, ok, if you like them then that's perfectly fine but anyone proclaiming that they're fantastic compared to a windows machine is simply being a small bit delusional.

"The schools' IT departments also like Chromebooks more because they are simpler to manage than iPads." - IT departments are being stupidly lazy.

runswindows95

Distinguished
For a school, Chromebooks are a much better solution versus a Windows system. One, they're almost virus-free (School IT's spend a majority of their time doing virus removal on student's laptops). Second. already comes with all the software a student will need built-in. Finally, they have a real keyboard unlike a tablet.

actsai

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I do doubt education market can extrapolate to the general mass consumer market as the article suggest. Macs themselves were that way too only Steve Jobs and iProducts kept them afloat today.

rob8129

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
To damianroberjones, "IT departments being stupid and lazy" do you even know what you are talking about? I work for a school system where we have had both the iPad and the Chromebook and the CB is way easier to manage with the Google Apps Admin Console. The iPads have been a nightmare to manage with the tools that are available, although they have gotten marginally better recently. The iPads seem to work great on a one-to-one basis such as when we have a special education and it's part of their IEP, but for multi users on one device, the CB is the way to go. (Don't even get me started on trying to buy apps in an easy manner from Apple, I could tell you stories) We have over 1200 CBs and all I have to do is make a change in the Admin Console, and it's pushed down to all the units, very handy. So, it's not about being lazy, it's about being efficient. Lord knows we in IT have more than enough to do on a daily basis.

The big thing the article missed is that education is also linking these CBs to Google Apps for Edu. Once you combine the two, they are a great tool for education. A cheap and fast unit for web surfing, email/video collaboration, doc and presentation creation that is easy to manage is really the winning formula here. I actually have teachers begging me for more CBs, it has really taken off in our district. I have personally seen the shift from PC/MS Office/Email to CB/Google Docs/Gmail in our district. We even have Cisco video conference equipment and our staff is using Google Hangouts instead. Again inexpensive/free and works good will always beat out expensive and complicated, and that's why you are seeing the shift in the market.

You want to run the latest games and video/photo editor out there on a PC? Fine, all the better as I do that myself, but for a quick device that does the basics well, the CB is a fine choice. You guys that scoff at these things and make your "CBs are stupid and PCs are way better because..." remarks are really starting to sound like the typical smug Mac guy. Be careful, do you really want to be lumped into that category of computer user?

Status
Not open for further replies.