Ide and Scsi

G

I just bought a WD 40G 7200 which I want to make my primary HD. Currrently I have a 4.5 G IBM scsi II HD (about 90% full) which I want to make a secondary drive. I set the jumpers on the WD to be primary, connected the ide cable to the primary ide slot on the mobo (Tekram P6Pro A+). I downloaded Data Lifeguard Tools 2.60 and tried to install. I got the drive formatted and partitioned, but could get no further. System does not recognize the drive. I tried changing in CMOS the boot from scsi to primary ide, but no luck. CMOS is set to auto for primary and secondary drives. I'm a little new at this. Can scsi and ide hard drives co-exist? Any ideas? Thanks.

Disable the SCSI drive so it can't interfere. Make sure you have set the IDE drive's partition as active in fdisk.

Boot up with a boot disk if possible and make sure the IDE drive's drivers at cool.

Should be working. Make sure it works before enabling the SCSI drive. If possible remove the SCSI controller before the IDE set-up. Then re-install the SCSI stuff.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

One point.

Would the SCSI drive be faster than the IDE drive?

Maybe somone could answer that for me.

If it is, it would make a better boot drive.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

The SCSI II has an data transfer speed of 20 mbts, I believe. The IDE drive is an ultra ATA/100, however, I will be using it at ultra ATA/66 since the mobo is maxed at 66. I do plan to upgrade the mobo soon. Either way the IDE will be faster than the SCSI.

G

I disabled the SCSI drive by disconnecting the cable and power, and rebooted with boot disk. The system still does not see the drive. Rebooted several times, same result. I would suspect the cable, but the WD software could find the drive, so I don't think that is it. I also flashed the BIOS with the latest, but that didn't change results.

G

Thanks for your help. I think that is a good idea. I have an old computer, but cables aren't compatable. I'll try to find another computer. In the meantime, I'm beginning to think the format and partitioning I did with Western Digital's software may not have worked. I disconnected the SCSI, booted up in DOS, ran FDISK and got an error message that no hard disk could be found. Maybe the cable? It seems that if the sytem is running on DOS, has the regular drive disconnected and still can't see any fixed disks then the problem would have to be either: the cable, the power, the hard drive, or possibly the IDE connection. What other options could there be? Is there a way to see in BIOS if the drive can be seen? Thanks.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Ahhhh. The glories of hd problems.

My suggestion to you would be to get a copy of Partion Magic. PM me and I will discuss how.

Anyway, Little known fact about pm os that it is a much better utility without ever installing in windows. The meat of the app fits on a floppy and runs from dos. So boot your machine with a 98 boot disk (even if it is an NT/Linux, you can still use a 98 boot disk for this purpose) and run partion magic. type "a:\pqmagic" at the prompt. If your having serious problems then use "a:\pqmagic \ipe" for ignore partion errors.

So your in pm, what then? Well if that hd is even remotely connected, pm will cook dinner with it. Very handy app in the dos form. Really cool too because it never asks for keys or to register or crap like that - assumes you made the disk from the windows install (which of course does).

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

G

I finally made some progress. The problem was the jumpers. I had set the jumpers for a primary master. When I changed it to a single, the system could find the drive. I partitioned it and formatted it in DOS instead of the Western Digital Lifeguard software. I guess I now need to set the jumpers back to master, then hook the SCSI back up.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I should have thought of that. I think it is unique to WD HDD's to have one jumper setting for master by itself and a different jumper setting for master with a slave.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?