MadCarrot

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
My current IDE setup is as follows:

Primary Master - Maxtor 40GB HD
Primary Slave - Maxtor 40GB HD
Secondary Master - Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM
Secondary Slave - Plextor 2410A CD-RW

Is this the best configuration? If not, what is?

MC

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I would put the fastest drive as the boot device on the primary master, and whatever drive is the least used as the slave on that channel. Then put the other two devices on the secondary channel.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You might even want to consider RAID as an option :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That settup is fine as long as you don't plan on doing CD to CD coppies. If you do plan on doing such copies, remember than IDE can only access one drive per channel at a time, so it would be better to have your DVD on the primary slave position.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

I've tended to go with the CD-RW on master secondary to cut down the chances of burn.

I still prefer the mobos with IDEs 1,2,3,4. It allows both CD devices to be masters.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I prefer SCSI. Think about this-as many drives as you like, and only 1 IRQ for the controller.
It seems you also like to pay 10x as much. I used to like SCSI, but the performance difference is now negligible and I can implement IDE RAID that will stomp a single SCSI drive and cost me less money. I may even have some left over to buy something else.

In addition, with ACPI, all PCI devices use the same IRQ, so no benefit there....

Back on topic, I would usually recommend placing the CDRW as master on the secondary controller, but this changes with having two UDMA66/100/133 drives and a UDMA66 DVD (like the Pioneer 116 or 106s). The CDRW will actually slow down the other devices as master. CD to CD copying will not be too badly impacted with the DVD as master and the CDRW as slave if you have enabled UDMA for the DVD. I have set-up my two HDs, DVD, and CDRW as shown above and have no difficulty with CD to CD (full burn at 12X no problem). I also have burns streaming of HD #2 and this works great as well.