IDE Controller Question

G

I recently bought a Abit VH6 Motherboard and noticed that when, for example, I perform a 'directory command' on my CDROM drive, it causes the Hard Drive light to come on. I tried booting directly to dos and the same thing happens...every time I access the CDROM the hard drive light comes on. And NO the hard drive isn't being accessed ( i put it up to my ear just to be sure).

Also, when I try to install Windows 2000 it loads all of the drivers and right when it says ..."Staring Windows 2000" it locks up HARD, consistently! I wonder if these two issues are related???

Thanks for any insight!

Chyld

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These two issues are not related. The first situation is NORMAL, as the light is lit by the IDE controller whenever ANY IDE drive is accessed, be it a hard drive, cd-rom, zip-drive, or anything else.
As for the second issue, it sounds as though your system is locking when trying to configure a card that is causing a conflict. Try removing all the cards except the Video card, loading the system, and then after it is fully configured adding the cards on-by-one between restarts. That gives Windows a better chance to configure things, as it has less to deal with.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Ive had a very similar prob. I need to replace the cd-rom in a old comp. After installing the new cd-rom I locked up hard at the windows 98 screen. I then but the old one back in and booted up with no problem. Could there be some type of conflict that I might be able to fix or is there something wrong with the cd-rom. (the pin 1 is oriented correctly, set as the master on the second IDE) is there something else I could be missing?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I once had a BTC CD-ROM that took 5 seconds to "spin up" before it read data-so I got a lot of "unable to find file" errors. So there is a remote chance that it could be the CD-ROM.

Suicide is painless...........