IDE Disk Clone running Windows NT

ionast

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
We have an old PC running Windows NT. There is a software installed which controls an industrial machine. As the whole package was bought used we do not have the installation media of the software. For peace of mind we want to clone the disk to have a backup in case of disk failure.

I am thinking of removing the IDE drive, plug it to an external case and clone it to a new IDE disk with Acronis or other similar software. Now i am wondering how safe is that for the original disk, and what are the chances for something to go wrong. Theoretically the disk will not be affected as there are no "write" needs but still I have my concerns. Is there anybody who has cloned any old disk with old OS?

Thanks

Solution
One thing to take note of is that cloning the drive might result in the original drive failing, if you are so lucky to hit a bad spot while making that backup image. But, that said, you are wise to be doing this sooner than later.

I would probably not bother removing the drive from the system, increasing the chances of a gremlin showing itself. Rather, I'd consider booting the original system with whatever software you wish to use and make the backup from there.

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
One thing to take note of is that cloning the drive might result in the original drive failing, if you are so lucky to hit a bad spot while making that backup image. But, that said, you are wise to be doing this sooner than later.

I would probably not bother removing the drive from the system, increasing the chances of a gremlin showing itself. Rather, I'd consider booting the original system with whatever software you wish to use and make the backup from there.

Solution