IDE drive identified as SCSI

sangberg

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2001
System specs...(ok they are a bit sketchy)

Mobo: Shuttle something
CPU: AMD 1.4Ghz 266
Mem: 512MB PC133
GFX: Gforce 2mx 200
HDD: Samsung 60GB
CD-ROM: 52X noname...

Symptom: none, other than both the CD-ROM and HDD is identified as SCSI devices within W2K allthough they are IDE devices...Anyone seen something like this before??

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yea. On my old VP1541 MB, the BIOS recognized an ATA100 controller card with an IDE hard drive as a SCSI device for purpose of boot drive selection. It still worked fine...actually I think it was just a matter of terminology not being up to date.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!</font color=green> :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm running 2000 Pro here and my drives on my IDE RAID controller do the same. Just a driver thing. The reason it shows up as SCSI is because the driver in use is a SCSI driver to get the speed out of the controller.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Editor
Most OS's do not properly control the DMA mode of the drive. So the UDMA drivers for certain chipsets do that. And they show the drive as a SCSI drive. This is not a problem, it happens by design.

Back to you Tom...

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yup. The RAID driver for my system was listed as a SCSI device. Doesn't matter, though, if it still works.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I have the same thing. It gives no problems, so I am not going to tamper with it. Still, it is nice to know what causes it. Thank you Crashman!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS