IDE drive identified as SCSI

sangberg

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2001
System specs...(ok they are a bit sketchy)

Mobo: Shuttle something
CPU: AMD 1.4Ghz 266
Mem: 512MB PC133
GFX: Gforce 2mx 200
HDD: Samsung 60GB
CD-ROM: 52X noname...

Symptom: none, other than both the CD-ROM and HDD is identified as SCSI devices within W2K allthough they are IDE devices...Anyone seen something like this before??

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yea. On my old VP1541 MB, the BIOS recognized an ATA100 controller card with an IDE hard drive as a SCSI device for purpose of boot drive selection. It still worked fine...actually I think it was just a matter of terminology not being up to date.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!</font color=green> :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm running 2000 Pro here and my drives on my IDE RAID controller do the same. Just a driver thing. The reason it shows up as SCSI is because the driver in use is a SCSI driver to get the speed out of the controller.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most OS's do not properly control the DMA mode of the drive. So the UDMA drivers for certain chipsets do that. And they show the drive as a SCSI drive. This is not a problem, it happens by design.

Back to you Tom...

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yup. The RAID driver for my system was listed as a SCSI device. Doesn't matter, though, if it still works.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I have the same thing. It gives no problems, so I am not going to tamper with it. Still, it is nice to know what causes it. Thank you Crashman!

TRENDING THREADS