IDE drivers

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE drivers
(4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm using
it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.

I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that during
moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a vba
program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and this is
strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy hard
drive usage.

lee

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

Is it a particular piece of software? If you suspect its the nvidia ide
drivers why not rollback to the MS ones and see?

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:01 -0400, "Manuel Lopez"
<manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote:

>:>Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE drivers
>:>(4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm using
>:>it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
>:>Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.
>:>
>:>I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that during
>:>moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a vba
>:>program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and this is
>:>strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
>:>normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy hard
>:>drive usage.
>:>

-----
Lee.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

Thanks, I'm doing that this weekend (can't do it when I can't afford
downtime). What's the best way to return: do I need to use XP's system
rollback, or I can I just select nvidia drivers from Add/Remove Programs?
(When selected, it conveniently gives a option to uninstall only the nvidia
ide drivers.) I assume the latter, but want to avoid unpleasant surprises.

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is it a particular piece of software? If you suspect its the nvidia ide
> drivers why not rollback to the MS ones and see?
>
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:01 -0400, "Manuel Lopez"
> <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
> >:>Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE drivers
> >:>(4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm
using
> >:>it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
> >:>Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.
> >:>
> >:>I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that
during
> >:>moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a vba
> >:>program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and this
is
> >:>strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
> >:>normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy hard
> >:>drive usage.
> >:>
>
> -----
> Lee.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

The newest ones are the only Nvidia ones I can get to work! The Windows
default are about as good, and the earlier Nvidia versions were just plain
garbage.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

You can roll back just the Nvidia driver, you don't need to do a system
restore. Go through device manager to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and expand the
group, double click the Nvidia card entry, go to the drivers tab, and there
will be a button near the bottom that says Roll Back Driver. Click this to
reinstall the previous driver you had.

"Manuel Lopez" <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote in
message news:2ipbkgFpu457U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Thanks, I'm doing that this weekend (can't do it when I can't afford
> downtime). What's the best way to return: do I need to use XP's system
> rollback, or I can I just select nvidia drivers from Add/Remove Programs?
> (When selected, it conveniently gives a option to uninstall only the
nvidia
> ide drivers.) I assume the latter, but want to avoid unpleasant
surprises.

> "Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Is it a particular piece of software? If you suspect its the nvidia ide
> > drivers why not rollback to the MS ones and see?
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:01 -0400, "Manuel Lopez"
> > <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote:
> >
> > >:>Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE
drivers
> > >:>(4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm
> using
> > >:>it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
> > >:>Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.
> > >:>
> > >:>I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that
> during
> > >:>moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a
vba
> > >:>program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and
this
> is
> > >:>strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
> > >:>normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy
hard
> > >:>drive usage.
> > >:>
> >
> > -----
> > Lee.

stuff

message news:2ip1f6Fpkjn5U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE drivers
> (4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm
using
> it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
> Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.
>
> I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that during
> moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a vba
> program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and this is
> strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
> normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy hard
> drive usage.

Hi,

I had a similar problem. I have an nForce2 board and i attached an extra
Fujitsu 20gb HDD because i was running low on space. Whilst copying large
files from my main HD to the new one it was locking up and freezing.

The only weird solution i found was that the new HD didn't have its jumpers
set to be a Slave. Yes, very weird i know, when i set the jumpers to be a
Slave and re-installed the nForce2 drivers (and IDE drivers) everything
worked perfectly.

Bizarre.

No issues here. I've been using them since they came out with no problems.

I am using them with Maxtor drives though instead of WD.

If your only having problems using one program It might not even be the
drivers. I would do some testing with different programs before pointing at the
drivers.
I also would scan the disk for errors, defrag the drive and create a fixed size
swap file maybe around 1.5 Gigs

>Go through device manager to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and expand the
>group, double click the Nvidia card entry, go to the drivers tab, and there
>will be a button near the bottom that says Roll Back Driver.

It's pretty much the same thing as using system restore. When you install new
drivers system restore automatically creates a restore point.
So you could also restore the drivers by using system restore and looking for a
restore point created when you installed the drivers.

Manuel Lopez wrote:

> Thanks, I'm doing that this weekend (can't do it when I can't afford
> downtime). What's the best way to return: do I need to use XP's system
> rollback, or I can I just select nvidia drivers from Add/Remove Programs?
> (When selected, it conveniently gives a option to uninstall only the nvidia
> ide drivers.) I assume the latter, but want to avoid unpleasant surprises.

I generally use Add-Remove is there is one as this generally removes the
driver files themselves. Not sure if Rollback does that.

--
Error reading sig - A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer

But system restore will revert everything changed after the point when the
drivers were changed. Why do that when all he wants is the driver restored?

In the 2 1/2 + years I've been using XP, I've always immediately disabled
system restore, and never had a case when it was needed. I have, though,
needed the driver rollback option which has worked when I needed it.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Go through device manager to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and expand the
> >group, double click the Nvidia card entry, go to the drivers tab, and
there
> >will be a button near the bottom that says Roll Back Driver.
>
> It's pretty much the same thing as using system restore. When you install
new
> drivers system restore automatically creates a restore point.
> So you could also restore the drivers by using system restore and looking
for a
> restore point created when you installed the drivers.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> But system restore will revert everything changed after the point when the
> drivers were changed. Why do that when all he wants is the driver
restored?

> In the 2 1/2 + years I've been using XP, I've always immediately disabled
> system restore, and never had a case when it was needed. I have, though,
> needed the driver rollback option which has worked when I needed it.

Same here, why waste gigs and gigs of harddisk space on useless (IMO)
restore points...everything I would want to "restore" can be done in other
much simpler ways, as you've already suggested :)

lee

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming (More info?)

Hello Manuel

If it was me i would just use Device Manager and expand your ide ATAPI
controllers and double click nvidia nforce 2 controller to get in properties
select drivers tab and in there you will see a button saying "roll back
driver" and it will just restore your ide driver back to the default MS one.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:52:26 -0400, "Manuel Lopez"
<manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote:

>:>Thanks, I'm doing that this weekend (can't do it when I can't afford
>:>downtime). What's the best way to return: do I need to use XP's system
>:>rollback, or I can I just select nvidia drivers from Add/Remove Programs?
>:>(When selected, it conveniently gives a option to uninstall only the nvidia
>:>ide drivers.) I assume the latter, but want to avoid unpleasant surprises.
>:>
>:>
>:>"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>:>news:e4sec0peqecrlv9p9oe141emlmng0nlqkb@4ax.com...
>:>> Is it a particular piece of software? If you suspect its the nvidia ide
>:>> drivers why not rollback to the MS ones and see?
>:>>
>:>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:01 -0400, "Manuel Lopez"
>:>> <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote:
>:>>
>:>> >:>Has anyone had serious issues / problems with latest Nvidia IDE drivers
>:>> >:>(4.12), part of Nvidia's Windows XP - Unified Drivers 4.24 set? I'm
>:>using
>:>> >:>it on a nForce2 board (nForce2 MCP-T A4, nForce2 IGP A2). I have a
>:>> >:>Western Digitial 160 GB drive, and Windows XP Home sp1.
>:>> >:>
>:>> >:>I'm still isolating the problem, but what appears to happen is that
>:>during
>:>> >:>moments of heavy hard drive usage, it suspends (without crashing) a vba
>:>> >:>program (Access 2003) that is accessing the hard drive, until (and this
>:>is
>:>> >:>strange) the user gives it focus, in which case the program resumes
>:>> >:>normally. It's not consistent, but the one common factor is heavy hard
>:>> >:>drive usage.
>:>> >:>
>:>>
>:>> -----
>:>> Lee.
>:>

-----
Lee.

>>Go through device manager to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and expand the
>>group, double click the Nvidia card entry, go to the drivers tab, and there
>>will be a button near the bottom that says Roll Back Driver.
>
>It's pretty much the same thing as using system restore.

Oh no, very very WRONG. I don't know about you, but I'm not losing a document
I wasted 12 hours typing out because I used system restore.

On 10 Jun 2004 08:15:04 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>No issues here. I've been using them since they came out with no problems.
>
>I am using them with Maxtor drives though instead of WD.
>
>If your only having problems using one program It might not even be the
>drivers. I would do some testing with different programs before pointing at the
>drivers.
>I also would scan the disk for errors, defrag the drive and create a fixed size
>swap file maybe around 1.5 Gigs

System Restore sets your PC back to exactly how it was at a previous
time so you will lose documents. At least I lost downloaded files when
using system restore once so I imagine you would lose docs created
after the restore point too.

Thanks to all. I used the add/remove programs to get rid of the nvidia ide
drivers and restore Microsoft's ide drivers. At least so far that has
solved the problem (it seems to be a failure of the nvidia drivers to
properly handle contention or heavy access by multiple processes to one area
of the hard drive), but I will post an update if the problem recurs. (I
had already tried defragging and ckkdsk and setting the swap file to a fixed
1.5 GB size.)

> No issues here. I've been using them since they came out with no problems.
>
> I am using them with Maxtor drives though instead of WD.
>
> If your only having problems using one program It might not even be the
> drivers. I would do some testing with different programs before pointing
at the
> drivers.
> I also would scan the disk for errors, defrag the drive and create a fixed
size
> swap file maybe around 1.5 Gigs

Update: I did have a repeat of the problem, so the nvidia IDE drivers are
not at fault for this issue.

"Manuel Lopez" <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote in
message news:2j61j8Fsn1k3U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Thanks to all. I used the add/remove programs to get rid of the nvidia
ide
> drivers and restore Microsoft's ide drivers. At least so far that has
> solved the problem (it seems to be a failure of the nvidia drivers to
> properly handle contention or heavy access by multiple processes to one
area
> of the hard drive), but I will post an update if the problem recurs. (I
> had already tried defragging and ckkdsk and setting the swap file to a
fixed
> 1.5 GB size.)
>

> "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> > No issues here. I've been using them since they came out with no
problems.

> > I am using them with Maxtor drives though instead of WD.
> >
> > If your only having problems using one program It might not even be the
> > drivers. I would do some testing with different programs before pointing
> at the
> > drivers.
> > I also would scan the disk for errors, defrag the drive and create a
fixed
> size
> > swap file maybe around 1.5 Gigs

lee

System Restore is a complete waste of system resources imo! disable it right
away! :)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:42:48 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:

>:>On 10 Jun 2004 08:15:04 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>:>
>:>>No issues here. I've been using them since they came out with no problems.
>:>>
>:>>I am using them with Maxtor drives though instead of WD.
>:>>
>:>>If your only having problems using one program It might not even be the
>:>>drivers. I would do some testing with different programs before pointing at the
>:>>drivers.
>:>>I also would scan the disk for errors, defrag the drive and create a fixed size
>:>>swap file maybe around 1.5 Gigs
>:>
>:>System Restore sets your PC back to exactly how it was at a previous
>:>time so you will lose documents. At least I lost downloaded files when
>:>using system restore once so I imagine you would lose docs created
>:>after the restore point too.

-----
Lee.

>System Restore sets your PC back to exactly how it was at a previous
>time so you will lose documents. At least I lost downloaded files when
>using system restore once so I imagine you would lose docs created
>after the restore point too.

I don't believe thats true according to Microsoft. It shouldn't touch user
created documents. It only protects certain files.
It depends on the file's extension and where the file is located if it will be
protected.

On 15 Jun 2004 00:04:34 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>I don't believe thats true according to Microsoft. It shouldn't touch user
>created documents. It only protects certain files.
>It depends on the file's extension and where the file is located if it will be
>protected.

Well, I lost downloaded files for sure.

>Well, I lost downloaded files for sure.

I believe you, but they were probably exe or com files which are protected
files as far as I know and would be restored.

On 15 Jun 2004 04:18:19 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>I believe you, but they were probably exe or com files which are protected
>files as far as I know and would be restored.

Yea, they were exe files. Kind of a piss off though that it can't
differentiate between system files and downloaded progs. But I know
the fix now - download to a seperate partition that has system restore
turned off on.

>Yea, they were exe files. Kind of a piss off though that it can't
>differentiate between system files and downloaded progs. But I know
>the fix now - download to a seperate partition that has system restore
>turned off on.

Yeah that would fix it. I just don't use it at all unless testing drivers, then
it goes right back off.
I have seen it do some strange things it what it restores. So rather then using
it I always use straight backups on another drive.

On 16 Jun 2004 11:05:33 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>Yeah that would fix it. I just don't use it at all unless testing drivers, then
>it goes right back off.
>I have seen it do some strange things it what it restores. So rather then using
>it I always use straight backups on another drive.

I have Norton Ghost so I could image the C: partition but it would
take up a hell of a lot of blank cdr's so I don't bother. I usually
just image the C: partion after a fresh install of the OS and once all
the drivers are in place.

TRENDING THREADS