[SOLVED] Ide master and slave boot cd

Jan 10, 2019
I have my cd rw set to master and my hard drive set to slave , and all checks out ok in the bios but as soon as I got to boot from the cd it dosnt see that there is a disc in the drive , just sits there for a min then try’s to boot normally, but that won’t work either :( need help

Solution
yah sounds like the cd is not bootable. the drive is working and trying to boot the cd which is why it takes a minute.

then once cd does not boot, the pc moves on to the hdd and boots from there.

check out that cd and be sure it is still good and that it is bootable.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah sounds like the cd is not bootable. the drive is working and trying to boot the cd which is why it takes a minute.

then once cd does not boot, the pc moves on to the hdd and boots from there.

check out that cd and be sure it is still good and that it is bootable.

Solution
In my early PC days when IDE was the norm, I always made the boot HDD the Master, with CD drive as the Slave -- that was the accepted thinking at the time as I recall. May not fix your problem but worth a try? Better still, put CD drive on a separate ribbon cable (ie not sharing) if possible.

I read the OP in a different way (op is wlcome to clear this up) : That is whatever OS or installer that loads up from CD is not able to see the slave drive.

Assuming this is really old HW, I can have a guess that OP is trying to install Windows 98. As I remember from those days, there was a problem with W95 / W98 installers if you do not have a discette that contains the IDE drivers. That means many installations went stucked.
At least until W98 second edition, that one was packed with drivers so it didn't ran into "stuck mode" that often.

End of history lesson . . .

TRENDING THREADS