Question IDE/PATA hard drive Samsung 80GB SP0822N

Feb 17, 2019
Dear Tom's Hardware community!

This is my first post here. I recently found my old computer from about 2004. I was very excited to turn it on and see all the files that are on the computer. I am an musician and I was hoping to find my very first songs on this PC, but unfortunately the Windows XP machine didn't boot. I thought that maybe the PC's motherboard is not functional, so I decided to connect the hard drive to my new PC. To my surprise (silly me) I found that the hard drive connector is not what I am used to (SATA), but something different - PATA (I was a small child in 2004 so I didn't know much about the connectors used back in the day). So basically I had to find a converter to connect the IDE/PATA drive to my new PC. I found and used a converter from LogiLink - AD0008. The user manual for AD0008 told me that I do not need any drivers to connect (it's supposed to be plug and play). So I connected it to my new PC's motherboard (for the record I am using Windows 10).

I went to "This PC" to see if Windows can register any new drives automatically. I only saw my main drive - the PATA drive was not there. I went to "Disk Management" and executed the command "Rescan Disks". So the rescan took like 3-4 minutes and the Samsung IDE/PATA drive started to make some clicking noises. I was afraid, that Windows won't find anything and that the drive is dead, but Windows finally detected my drive. Now the only thing I did was the "Initialize Disk" command with the option "MBR" selected - I hope I did nothing wrong by doing that.

But I can't still access the disk. I'm too afraid to experiment further, so I am asking this amazing community for help. What should I do? Is the hard drive dead or is there hope to recover the files from more than 15 years ago? Maybe I should bring the drive to a professional recovery service?

To sum up here's the information about the drive one more time:

type: PATA
model: IDE/PATA hard drive Samsung 80GB SP0822N
OS used on the drive: Windows XP Home Edition

The computer I'm trying to connect to uses Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you so much in advance!

Regards,
Pat

Feb 17, 2019
For the record - I have no idea about the connector in between the power and data connectors. Google tells me that it's a "jumper". What is it for?

hang-the-9

Titan
The disk is actually seen in the system, but since you initialized it, it is now wiped of all partitions as you can see in the disk manager where it shows nor partitions on it, which is why you can't see it. It's blank.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS