Question IDE/PATA hard drive Samsung 80GB SP0822N

Feb 17, 2019
Dear Tom's Hardware community!

This is my first post here. I recently found my old computer from about 2004. I was very excited to turn it on and see all the files that are on the computer. I am an musician and I was hoping to find my very first songs on this PC, but unfortunately the Windows XP machine didn't boot. I thought that maybe the PC's motherboard is not functional, so I decided to connect the hard drive to my new PC. To my surprise (silly me) I found that the hard drive connector is not what I am used to (SATA), but something different - PATA (I was a small child in 2004 so I didn't know much about the connectors used back in the day). So basically I had to find a converter to connect the IDE/PATA drive to my new PC. I found and used a converter from LogiLink - AD0008. The user manual for AD0008 told me that I do not need any drivers to connect (it's supposed to be plug and play). So I connected it to my new PC's motherboard (for the record I am using Windows 10).

KQL35cC.jpg

I went to "This PC" to see if Windows can register any new drives automatically. I only saw my main drive - the PATA drive was not there. I went to "Disk Management" and executed the command "Rescan Disks". So the rescan took like 3-4 minutes and the Samsung IDE/PATA drive started to make some clicking noises. I was afraid, that Windows won't find anything and that the drive is dead, but Windows finally detected my drive. Now the only thing I did was the "Initialize Disk" command with the option "MBR" selected - I hope I did nothing wrong by doing that.

g6AZ6fk.jpg

But I can't still access the disk. I'm too afraid to experiment further, so I am asking this amazing community for help. What should I do? Is the hard drive dead or is there hope to recover the files from more than 15 years ago? Maybe I should bring the drive to a professional recovery service?

To sum up here's the information about the drive one more time:

type: PATA
model: IDE/PATA hard drive Samsung 80GB SP0822N
OS used on the drive: Windows XP Home Edition

The computer I'm trying to connect to uses Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you so much in advance!

Regards,
Pat