IDE RAID 0...I can't mount a reg IDE HD on MB

G

I've got a Dell 8100 P4-1.4. I just put in a Promise Fastrak IDE RAID controller with 2 IBM 40GB 60GXPs and installed Windows XP Home. This has worked beautifully (except for no available XP drivers from Promise).

What I want to do is reinstall my former main drive to be able to get some data off of it that I forgot to back up. My prob is, when I plug it into the onboard Primary IDE controller, no matter what I set the drive's jumpers to, I cannot get the system to recognize the drive.

I've set up my system bios to auto-recognize drives on all controllers.

There's nothing on my primary ide controller atm. My secondary IDE controller is running my DVD and CDRW drives, so that's full.

What am I doing wrong?

G

Actually, you don't have to assume. I mentioned I set my bios settings to auto-detect the drives on all on-board controllers. If this isn't right, or if I missed something, then what should I look at?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Sorry, I am we todd did! I knew I read that somewhere! :)

If the jumpers are set on G/H and A/B, and the BIOS settings are set to Auto detect. Make sure you are using an Ultra Cable (80wire), or try a new cable.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
its because the computer sees the primary controller as the raid controller. take the raid controller out and use only the ide onboard and copy files to one drive

G

I'm using the same cable I was before I installed the the RAID deal. Shouldn't it work still?

G

I understand that the RAID controller is seen as the primary controller, but I should still be able to use the primary IDE controller on the MB, no? I'm try to avoid having to bring the system back to its orginal state just to copy one file over and then redo the RAID config.

Should I try taking one of my CDROM drives off the secondary ide controller and putting the HD on that?

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
i have install a number of "mega Raid ide 100" by American Megatrends and I had to disable the embedded ide so it would work. Smart bios send information to cpu and other parts and i think that it will not see the emmbeded controller till you remove the raid controller i am not sure about the type you are using. You could ask Fatburger here at tom's community he's real smart send him a private message he will answer

TRENDING THREADS