IDE RAID - one device per channel w/rounded cables

G

Am planning to set up an IDE RAID array using the Soyo Dragon Plus mobo with the Promise Fasttrak100-Lite chip and 2 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 60GB Ultra ATA/133.

My questions are:

1. Does the Promise FT100 Lite chipset allow a RAID 0 array with more than 2 drives? Not actually intending to do this (yet!) but it leads to my 2nd question.

2. Assuming I am using only 2 drives, isn't the preferred method to put them each on their own channel? Is there a performance/data integrity advantage?

3. I was considering using rounded cables for airflow purposes and b/c this is a moded case. But, if each drive is on its own channel and I am using 2 separate cables, I would prefer not to have a 3rd connector on the cable and for them to be pretty short as the mobo IDE connectors are very close to the drive cage. <b> Has anyone seen rounded cables w/only 2 connectors? Does anybody else see this as a problem/disadvantage to setting up a RAID array with rounded cables (i.e. lots of extra cable drooping about)? </b>

Am thinking of just using regular ATA100 ribbon cables and folding them out of the way, but thought I would run this by the group and see what kind of answers/suggestions I got. Thanks in advance!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have the Promise Lite RAID controllers on my MSI motherboard and it says that it can support four hard drives in a RAID 0.

I think the reason that it's recommended to put them on separate controllers is because bandwidth issues with having them on the same cable. You won't be running at the peak performance with two drives on the same cable in a RAID 0.

I haven't seen any rounded IDE cables with just two connections on them. You can only get cables in 18" or 24". Standard length is 18" which is what is shipped, if you go any longer you are more prone to bus noise and data corruption. The same with using rounded IDE cables.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i'd go and grab how ever many regular ata100 cables you need and splice em yourself. i did to all 4 cables i have in my box. get a utility knife with a new blade and take your time. all you have to do is make a half-inch long slit or something, the rest can be pulled apart. i wish they did make shorter ata100 cables (shorter than 18")

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown: