[SOLVED] IDE/SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter

allenspencerhart

Prominent
Jun 15, 2018
I've recently purchased this so I can transfer files from one drive to another without opening my computer up. IDE connections work without a problem, but when I hook up a SATA drive then it starts powering down and disconnecting. I've turned off power options to usb, and that didn't work. I have had the drive show up, and even was able to transfer 10gb of data, then it powered down, I know it's powering down because of the sound the drive makes. If it isn't working and I leave it plugged in then I'll keep getting pop-ups to format. Now I know I don't need to format it since and can hook it right to my computer and it works flawlessly, the drive is in 100% working order as well. Now, is there anyway I can fix this? or is it just unfixable?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are you supplying power to the adapter? Usually a requirement for running IDE drives.

Can't imagine a SATA drive needing more power, but it may just be pulling too much current or not getting the proper signal to stay awake.

allenspencerhart

Prominent
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, the power supply has a connection for both IDE and ATA.

I was thinking the same thing and I've switched outlets. I personally don't think it's the power supply. Everything looks fine, and since it's running the IDE drive without a problem, it makes me confused on the problem, lol.

allenspencerhart

Prominent
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah that has to be the problem

Although I'm using 2.0, not 3.0, I'm thinking it's because I'm using 2.0. We all know they're suppose to be backwards compatible, however that's the only thing that pops out to me.

I hooked the power from the SATA drive to another computer and used the usb connection and it did the same thing, so that confirms it's not the power supply.

Ralston18

Titan
Solution