[SOLVED] IDE to AHCI with cloned SSD *edit

Feb 18, 2021
I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO).

I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that down in comparison. I was also needing to get woth the times. I cloned my old HDD to my SSD using the Data Migration from Samsung. Not realizing that AMD (mine) was EFI. There is a lot of conflict, from researching, with Samsung and AMD. As well as my controller needing to be ACHI. From what I gathered, it can possibly damage and shorten the life of the drive. Reading a few articles on switching from EFI to ACHI without reinstalling Windows, seemed to be much of a headache and sometimes not guaranteed. Please correct if I'm wrong.

OS - Windows(64) 10 Home
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Verson: sex
Processor - AMD FX 6300
Memory - 16GB Ram
SSD - Samsung 870 EV0

Needing some confirmation/suggestions when reinstalling windows.

-Should I wipe the drive. Should I use the Samsung Magician? What's the best method?

- When do I need or should switch from EFI to ACHI?

-Do I need a certain boot order with the new drive when switching the controller or adding a SSD?

-Is there anyway to save/recover all my programs and files after reinstalling windows and everything is okay with the controller? So i don't have to spend a lot of time downloading everything.

Anything I am missing, please tell me.
Thank you so much for any assistance and help.

Last edited:
Solution
hi, if u switching from ide mode to ahci, windows may not boot as its missing drivers for ahci
if u also switching to efi, drive will need to be in GPT format (old non uefi used MBR)
so umm windows cloning is not advised
u can switch to ahci/efi (recommended), boot with efi bootable usb media with only SSD connected, install fresh windows than u can connect your old drive and move data manualy to wipe your old windows

as for ahci vs ide for ssd
ide is too old and doesnt know what ssd is, its missing some stuffs which ssd needs, without it drive will wear faster and will be slower over time (u wont notice it right away, but over time it will be super slow)
hi, if u switching from ide mode to ahci, windows may not boot as its missing drivers for ahci
if u also switching to efi, drive will need to be in GPT format (old non uefi used MBR)
u can switch to ahci/efi (recommended), boot with efi bootable usb media with only SSD connected, install fresh windows than u can connect your old drive and move data manualy to wipe your old windows

ide is too old and doesnt know what ssd is, its missing some stuffs which ssd needs, without it drive will wear faster and will be slower over time (u wont notice it right away, but over time it will be super slow)

Solution
Feb 18, 2021

Do you think I will run into any issues, locating the drive, when I clean install windows? With mobo that's so dated.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you think I will run into any issues, locating the drive, when I clean install windows? With mobo that's so dated.
A 2.5" format Samsung 870 EVO will be seen exactly the same as a HDD.
No issues.

Feb 18, 2021
I was able to enable AHCI though the BIOS... at least on.a Slave Drive in SATA port 2. And a IDE was created, for whateverreson in the Master Port whatever reason. Don't know how that happened since , I only had one drive(SSD) plugged in while instalation the Clean .

Somehow... I guess by complete ignorance. I created and formatted the Drive(SSD) for Legacy. Using a WIndows Media Creation tool from an USB. Now I can't wipe the Drive using the Magician Software Utility. Which automatically Creates portions for the SSD, Which you are able to finish after restarting and trying another clean install.

I feel so Defeated. I have lost hope... Just don't know what I'm doing wrong.. Or not knowledgeable enough.

I think I need to have someones help directly. Hopefully I can some way get the SSD to Boot in the correct Controller mode. As well as not enabling IDE

Well, There's that nice 870 EVO. $140.00 down the drawn

Feb 18, 2021
I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO).

I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that down in comparison. I was also needing to get woth the times. I cloned my old HDD to my SSD using the Data Migration from Samsung. Not realizing that AMD (mine) was EFI. There is a lot of conflict, from researching, with Samsung and AMD. As well as my controller needing to be ACHI. From what I gathered, it can possibly damage and shorten the life of the drive. Reading a few articles on switching from EFI to ACHI without reinstalling Windows, seemed to be much of a headache and sometimes not guaranteed. Please correct if I'm wrong.

OS - Windows(64) 10 Home
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Verson: sex
Processor - AMD FX 6300
Memory - 16GB Ram
SSD - Samsung 870 EV0

Needing some confirmation/suggestions when reinstalling windows.

-Should I wipe the drive. Should I use the Samsung Magician? What's the best method?

- When do I need or should switch from EFI to ACHI?

-Do I need a certain boot order with the new drive when switching the controller or adding a SSD?

-Is there anyway to save/recover all my programs and files after reinstalling windows and everything is okay with the controller? So i don't have to spend a lot of time downloading everything.

Anything I am missing, please tell me.
Thank you so much for any assistance and help.

I'm still far beyond confused. If I do a clean install. Will it be WIndows7 or 10? The mobo is not on the requirement list. Is their a way to force it to be Windows 10?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm still far beyond confused. If I do a clean install. Will it be WIndows7 or 10? The mobo is not on the requirement list. Is their a way to force it to be Windows 10?
You can install Win 10 on that. It is nowhere near too old.