IDE vs SATA help!

Brute

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Can some one please explain in brief what the difference is between the two of these. My western Digital 120 GB is IDE, will this work in a new motherboard that is made for SATA (asus k8n-E), are IDE and SATA cables the same?

can i run IDE hard drive and SATA together on the same mainboard, how exactly does this stuff work?

please help

thanks

RichPLS

Champion
All SATA boards I know of also have IDE controllers, but will not stay this way.
But, you can even get a SATA/IDE connector or an IDE controller card, and both are cheap.

Brute

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
is the cable the exact same tho

like if i stick my ide hard drive and ide cable into the SATA port on the mainboard it will work?
or how does that end of it all work

RichPLS

Champion
You would attach SATA cable to SATA connector on the motherboard.
You would attach PATA cable to IDE connector on the motherboard.

If It supports both.

If you have HDD DONGLE BOARD about 3-4 inches long and it has SATA and IDE conectors.
So you run SATA in and out comes PATA ide
If your drive only has SATA connects for power, then you might need a sata to molex converter also.

Here are two I found on NewEgg for $20 to $27 shipped

$20 High Point Technology Serial ATA Converter
Model# RocketHead 100
Item # N82E16822999111
Rockethead 100 Converts Current IDE interface to Next Generation SATA
This device allows users to connect ATA100 and ATA133 IDE hard disk drives to the Serial ATA controller. This converter is ideal for those who do not have Serial ATA hard disks, or want to avoid using multiple host adapters. it also elimates the larger Ribbon cables in favor for smaller, and longer SATA Cables.

$27 ABIT Serillel IDE to Serial ATA Adapter Kit -RETAIL
Model# Serillel
Item # N82E16813999402
Convert your PC to us Serial ATA, this kit is designed for use with Abit Motherboardssupporting the SATA feature, but may work with other companies, but compatibility is not guaranteed.
Specifications:
Complete Kit includes x1 patented Serillel IDE to Serial ATA Adapter, x1 Serial ATA Cable and x1 Power Extension Cable

Brute

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
well lets put it this way
anybody know off hand if my WD 120 gb hard drive IDE will work on an ASUS K8N-E Delux??????

or do i need to throw this hard drive away and buy a few sata's?

if i need to buy sata's its no big deal but i thought id just ask =)

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
All current motherboards still support IDE, so you're fine with that HDD. The K8N-E Deluxe also supports SATA.

----------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (stock)//1GB Corsair 3200XL//ATI Radeon 9700Pro (360/335)//WD Raptor 74GB/Antec Neopower 480W//Lian Li PC-61 Custom

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Everyone has told you numerous times that ALL CURRENT BOARDS SUPPORT YOUR DRIVE! ALL CURRENT SATA BOARDS ALSO HAVE IDE PORTS. AND YOU SHOULD CHANGE YOUR NAME FROM BRUTUS TO DUFUS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEEM TO LISTEN.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>