Idea to Duplicate RAID 0 Data

NeedsHelps

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
My current computer has two 1TB HDDs in RAID 0. The drives are currently 5 years old, and at the time I built the computer, RAID 0 was mainly used to obtain more storage (rather than performance benefits). All I had available at the time was two 1TB drives, so I made the best of what I had and maximized my storage.

However, since that time, harddrives have been getting increasingly larger and less expensive. I am looking at purchasing two 4TB drives (8TB total) to increase my storage even further. I will likely unplug some things from the SATA ports, add the two drives, make a RAID array, and mirror the data over with free software.

However, I have been thinking about some other creative ways to accomplish the data migration under various circumstances (such as not enough SATA ports).

My idea is as follows:

Turn off the computer
Remove old RAID 0 harddrives (Drives A & B)
Install new harddrives (Drives C & D)
Set C and D into RAID 0
Turn off computer and remove drives C & D
Using a standalone HDD cloner, clone A to C and B to D
Install new drives (C & D) again
Enjoy new ~8TB space (drives C & D), with data mirrored from drives A and B

My thinking is that the RAID 0 must be created on drives C and D before the data is mirrored (otherwise data will be erased at array creation). After the array is created with the new drives, the data on the old drives can just be cloned over to the new drives.

My main question is whether or not this would work. Would the RAID controller recognize and understand how to piece together the cloned data on the new drives? Even with an exact clone of the data, would you still have to set the new drives into RAID 0 (thus deleting the freshly cloned data)? Would I even need to set up a new RAID array, since everything is cloned over (including the RAID array setup data stored on the drives)?

Has anyone done this before?

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hard drives have become faster especially in larger sizes. Just get a large drive, 4 or 8 GB etc., and copy the current RAID 0 to a single larger drive and then disconnect the RAID 0. You would have another Sata port to use too. RAID 0 performance isn't the object, right? Your above method is iffy, at best, and is not necessary. 2. Copy your current RAID 0 to an external drive and set up a new RAID 0 with new drives and copy back to a newly set up RAID 0, or maybe 1. There are more possibilities but this might solve your question. How many Sata ports you have will help make a choice too.
W.P.

NeedsHelps

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I believe I do have 2 extra SATA ports, which would allow me to add 2 more drives, create another RAID 0 array and copy over the data quite easily. This question was mainly just to see if this was a possibility and could work, if SATA port availability were an issue. This method would allow you to only buy new drives, rather than a large external drive as well to make the transfer. It was mostly a hypothetical question to see if there were any major flaws in the idea and to find out if it is at least somewhat plausible.